cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get Citi card to lower my interest rate?

tag
JarTay

How do I get Citi card to lower my interest rate?

I have paid my Citi card on time and paid more than the minimum for 6 months.  I would like them to lower the interest rate so I can get this paid off more quickly.  I called them today and because I have had no trouble make the minimum and have even paid more, they won't lower it.  They asked if my employment situation has changed where I would have trouble paying the current minimum.  My answer was no.  The rep said unless I can't make the minimum or have an employment change, they can't lower the rate. I even spoke to a supervisor.  Any backdoor numbers or have any of you BTDT that have advice?   

FICO Score 6/15/2012 TU631 EQ 633
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Re: How do I get Citi card to lower my interest rate?

Sorry, but in my experience I don't think they care.   I don't think they want to lower rates for anyone, and they seem to want to cut limits rather than raise them.  They haven't done either of these things to me, but I got in with a 0% for 21 months balance transfer offer, and as soon as I transferred one balance and was ready to do another one, they revoked my ability to do balance transfers and would not tell me why.  I don't see them as being very customer-friendly.

Valued Contributor

Even if you call to cancel, they can't lower your APR. The system decides and puts the offer on your account. The next systematic global APR review is in Feb 2013. It happens twice a year and thereafter is Aug 2013.

Message 3 of 5
JarTay

Thank you for your help.  I will just keep plugging away.  March 2013 can't come soon enough.

FICO Score 6/15/2012 TU631 EQ 633
Message 4 of 5
miller8624
New Visitor

I find these other comments really interesting. I called one year after setting up my account and asked for my interest rate to be lowered. The foreign call rep told me that they can't lower interest rates. I asked for her supervisor. Got transferred back to the US. Asked again. Voila. 2% reduction. Do this every year. Say you'll close your account if they can't help you and you have a 0% offer with someone else. 

Note: This only works if you don't tend to carry a balance and have never slipped up.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.