Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get a USAA CC?

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

How do I get a USAA CC?

Okay folks need some input here about what to do to get approved for a USAA CC.  They were my first CC ever when I turned 18.  Long story short but after I moved away from home had some financial problems, got married, declared bankruptcy, & the card was included.  Didn’t know then what I know now or I would have kept it & paid it.  I’ve always thought a lot of USAA as they gave me a lot of credit when I was younger & good rates I couldn’t get anywhere else.

So now that I’ve started my credit repair journey this year & apparently NFCU likes me I thought I would give USAA a try again & was shot down due to my credit report.  They pulled EQ which is my best report & the one that got NFCU to give me 2 CC, 1 LOC, & 1 car loan recently. 

I haven’t pulled my score in a couple months but I’m probably mid 600s.  All my baddies are over 3 years old.  (charge-off’s for CC from Household & Merrick)  No judgements or collections on my EQ report.  My last late payment was Sallie Mae (60 day late) about 3 years ago.  (it was during deferment but they claim it was before I got deferment so they won’t GW it off) 

So I’m wondering is USAA conservative like Penfed?  I know I would never have a prayer of getting in with Penfed.  My payment history with USAA was perfect until I declared bankruptcy.  I was never even late.  I just included it with everything else as my lawyer instructed me to do.  I guess I thought since NFCU liked me & I’ve been a member of USAA for almost 20 years that I had a shot with them.

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: How do I get a USAA CC?

USAA IIB could be a complete roadblock. You need to contact USAA and ask if you have a chance of obtaining future credit from them and under what circumstances.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA blacklists.

Do you still carry their insurance products since the BK?

I know bad insurance history black lists for life (had a buddy try to open coverage after his accident), I have no idea if that spills to Financial products.

Message 3 of 6
mt2va
Established Contributor

I spoke to a MSR & she saw where my CC was IIB.  But when I told her how long ago the BK was (1996) she said it wasn't a problem.  Guess I'm just not up to their standards.  I know they won't insure me anymore but that is due to a high risk driver in my household. 

I'll just be happy with my NFCU success. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mt2va wrote:

I spoke to a MSR & she saw where my CC was IIB.  But when I told her how long ago the BK was (1996) she said it wasn't a problem.  Guess I'm just not up to their standards.  I know they won't insure me anymore but that is due to a high risk driver in my household. 

I'll just be happy with my NFCU success. 

You will need to contact their credit recovery department.  USAA NEVER FORGETS.  They are like AMEX in that respect.

I had a USAA account from same period.  We ended up in BK.  We settled USAA for less than owed rather than IIB.  We have had auto insurance with them, but when I went to inquire on other insurance products and banking I hit a road block.

Long story short, I paid the $678 "unpaid balance" and was instantly able to get all insurance products and they approved me for World MC and AMEX at $20,000 CL.  So obviously they didn't hold a grudge.  Once I cleared that flag from 1998, it's been smooth as silk.

Message 5 of 6
mt2va
Established Contributor

The lady I talked to acted like it wasn't a big deal & she was in the CC department.  She stated that their records didn't show the BK discharged which is was over 13 years ago & is long gone off all 3 CR.  She stated when they pulled my CR they would see it was gone & I should be fine. 

I'm not going to pursue it as I pulled my EQ score yesterday & I've lost 30 points due to all my new accounts reporting.  I will say the lady at USAA was super nice.  I haven't talked to them in years, but in the past they were always great to me with CC, car insurance, etc

But I will say I love my NFCU so much more! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.