Regular Contributor
Give_Me_Credit_Please

How do I get cli on secured Capone card without security deposit?

I have a Capone secured credit card for about 8 months now with a $200 limit, recently they raised to $300. Does anyone know how to have get them to give a cli withut making a deposit and if that's possible? I called and ask for a cli but they said I have to make my own deposit. Thank you in advance.

Valued Contributor
MovingForward_2012

Re: How do I get cli on secured Capone card without security deposit?

Did you ask if you could convert it to an unsecured card?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! :smileyhappy: Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Senior Contributor
jsucool76

Cap1 secured does not graduate to an unsecured card, although many cardholders will receive a CLI after around 6 months, similar to a credit steps increase, but smaller. Other than that, do not expect any other increases without increasing your deposit.
Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

I have a Capone secured credit card for about 8 months now with a $200 limit, recently they raised to $300. Does anyone know how to have get them to give a cli withut making a deposit and if that's possible? I called and ask for a cli but they said I have to make my own deposit. Thank you in advance.

I think it is a one time thing you get after 6 months (or not).   I have not seen anyone report every getting anything else on their secured card.  

Contributor
BearOSO

The only increase I ever received was during my initial investment of $500. With that deposit, I received a $651 CL. 

I chatted with a rep, as an extra deposit I made did not hit the system when I thought it would, and he said that during year, they do a review but could not discuss when it occurs or what they will do with your secured card...some secret-squirrel type of stuff. But good luck. Let us know if something works out for you. 

Starting Score: 656 12/2012
Current Score: FICO (USAA pulled) EXP:678 | myFICO EQ:676 | myFICO TU:685 | App free since 2/1/2013

Regular Contributor
Give_Me_Credit_Please

I attempted to ask for upgrade to unsecured but they said once I qualify, they will send an invitation to apply. I just don't want to be stuck with this secured card if it's not gonna grow with me. I do have an Orchard for about 2yrs now and originally it was unsecured for $300 cl and since than I only received $200 cli totaling $500. Since Orchard is now Cap1, I don't know how their gonna approach it with my secure card. Thanks for everyone's help.

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

I attempted to ask for upgrade to unsecured but they said once I qualify, they will send an invitation to apply. I just don't want to be stuck with this secured card if it's not gonna grow with me. I do have an Orchard for about 2yrs now and originally it was unsecured for $300 cl and since than I only received $200 cli totaling $500. Since Orchard is now Cap1, I don't know how their gonna approach it with my secure card. Thanks for everyone's help.

They don't unsecure it ever.   They expect you to apply for unsecured card.    I suggest you try the prequalify on their website and apply when they come back with a card you like as you will most likely get it.   Then you can close your secured card after that.  

If you are looking for bigger limits, putting down a big deposit now and can help you get a good limit later with their unsecured card.   It worked for me.

Regular Contributor
Give_Me_Credit_Please

Thank you for that advice, I really hate to make a deposit into a card that's not gonna grow with me. I rather place that securty deposit into a secured card like bofa or Wells Fargo, which I have just applied for yesterday. Thank you for all your help.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+