cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get cli on secured Capone card without security deposit?

tag
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

How do I get cli on secured Capone card without security deposit?

I have a Capone secured credit card for about 8 months now with a $200 limit, recently they raised to $300. Does anyone know how to have get them to give a cli withut making a deposit and if that's possible? I called and ask for a cli but they said I have to make my own deposit. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: How do I get cli on secured Capone card without security deposit?

Did you ask if you could convert it to an unsecured card?
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Cap1 secured does not graduate to an unsecured card, although many cardholders will receive a CLI after around 6 months, similar to a credit steps increase, but smaller. Other than that, do not expect any other increases without increasing your deposit.
Message 3 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

I have a Capone secured credit card for about 8 months now with a $200 limit, recently they raised to $300. Does anyone know how to have get them to give a cli withut making a deposit and if that's possible? I called and ask for a cli but they said I have to make my own deposit. Thank you in advance.

I think it is a one time thing you get after 6 months (or not).   I have not seen anyone report every getting anything else on their secured card.  

Message 4 of 8
BearOSO
Contributor

The only increase I ever received was during my initial investment of $500. With that deposit, I received a $651 CL. 

I chatted with a rep, as an extra deposit I made did not hit the system when I thought it would, and he said that during year, they do a review but could not discuss when it occurs or what they will do with your secured card...some secret-squirrel type of stuff. But good luck. Let us know if something works out for you. 

Message 5 of 8
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

I attempted to ask for upgrade to unsecured but they said once I qualify, they will send an invitation to apply. I just don't want to be stuck with this secured card if it's not gonna grow with me. I do have an Orchard for about 2yrs now and originally it was unsecured for $300 cl and since than I only received $200 cli totaling $500. Since Orchard is now Cap1, I don't know how their gonna approach it with my secure card. Thanks for everyone's help.

Message 6 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

I attempted to ask for upgrade to unsecured but they said once I qualify, they will send an invitation to apply. I just don't want to be stuck with this secured card if it's not gonna grow with me. I do have an Orchard for about 2yrs now and originally it was unsecured for $300 cl and since than I only received $200 cli totaling $500. Since Orchard is now Cap1, I don't know how their gonna approach it with my secure card. Thanks for everyone's help.

They don't unsecure it ever.   They expect you to apply for unsecured card.    I suggest you try the prequalify on their website and apply when they come back with a card you like as you will most likely get it.   Then you can close your secured card after that.  

If you are looking for bigger limits, putting down a big deposit now and can help you get a good limit later with their unsecured card.   It worked for me.

Message 7 of 8
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Thank you for that advice, I really hate to make a deposit into a card that's not gonna grow with me. I rather place that securty deposit into a secured card like bofa or Wells Fargo, which I have just applied for yesterday. Thank you for all your help.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.