Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know what is "grocery"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I know what is "grocery"

i used my Amex BCP  at Wegman's yesterday and at the liquor store attached to it that they had bought out. Checked the pending purchases when I  got home. Both list groceries as the category. Winning!

Message 11 of 17
icyhot
Valued Contributor

The Wallaby app is good for categorizing stores, they have Walmart as grocery but Target as retail
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My walmart codes as grocery, my (former) regular gas station codes as some sort of weird retail. Must have been something else in a former life. Interestingly, if you are in the semirural midwest and you have a caseys general store you can get 5 percent back on your admittedly terrible pizza Smiley Surprised

Message 13 of 17
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

the best way to find out, is to go to the store and make a small purchase, wait for it to clear, in a few days Barclays Sallie Mae website will show the rewards you eaned, if its only a single point per dollar, its not a grocery...be sure and check your local stores, you may be surprised what is considered groceries, 2 of my local walmart's are considered grocery. 

Same here -- both local Wal-Mart Super Centers and the Super Target all code as grocery for me. If it's a Wal-Mart Super Center, it's a good chance it'll code as grocery although I'm sure some do not. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 14 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

the best way to find out, is to go to the store and make a small purchase, wait for it to clear, in a few days Barclays Sallie Mae website will show the rewards you eaned, if its only a single point per dollar, its not a grocery...be sure and check your local stores, you may be surprised what is considered groceries, 2 of my local walmart's are considered grocery. 

Yes, that's the way ^^^^^^. I don't have a SM (yet), but for both my Barclays Rewards & NFL when a transaction posts you just click "Transactions" and it shows you the amount of points awarded. Barclays is pretty loose on how they code into the high rewards categories - Walmart always codes as groceries whatever the purchase, as does Family Dollar. By checking the transactions online you can figure out what will code as a high rewards, I only use my Rewards card at places that earn me 2%.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RBFool wrote:

Or is it something where you buy gum everywhere wait for a statement and then start shopping?

I like this idea, but only if you're going to be thorough about it. Something like: buy gum at every place that sells it within a 30 mile radius.

Message 16 of 17
RBFool
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@RBFool wrote:

Or is it something where you buy gum everywhere wait for a statement and then start shopping?

I like this idea, but only if you're going to be thorough about it. Something like: buy gum at every place that sells it within a 30 mile radius.

Ha! Maybe if I was about to duplicate myself a thousand times like some people (movie reference based off of your name). I only shop at about 7 different stores, just going to do it there and "wing" the odd times I'm out and are unsure.

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.