cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I maximize my new cards while gardening?

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

How do I maximize my new cards while gardening?

My cards are all less than a month old and I'm trying to maximize their potential, thus maximizing my potential. I'll be in the garden for a while now that I have these cards and just prequalified for a $30k auto loan from my credit union. 

In your opinion, what's the best way for me to earn the most cash and/points with the cards that I have?

I'd like to use my credit/charge cards for online purchases, travel, bills (cable, mobile, utilities, etc) and regular living expenses (gas, groceries, dining) because I'm trying to get out of the habit of just using my debit card. Obviously, using my CCs build my scores and credit worthiness over time and I'm hoping to reap those benefits. I just need to figure out the right pattern and I need your help. 

(The cards are in my signature.)

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: How do I maximize my new cards while gardening?

@MontegoMack wrote:

My cards are all less than a month old and I'm trying to maximize their potential, thus maximizing my potential. I'll be in the garden for a while now that I have these cards and just prequalified for a $30k auto loan from my credit union. 

In your opinion, what's the best way for me to earn the most cash and/points with the cards that I have?

I'd like to use my credit/charge cards for online purchases, travel, bills (cable, mobile, utilities, etc) and regular living expenses (gas, groceries, dining) because I'm trying to get out of the habit of just using my debit card. Obviously, using my CCs build my scores and credit worthiness over time and I'm hoping to reap those benefits. I just need to figure out the right pattern and I need your help. 

Use Chase for the quarterly categories.

Try to spread the luv with your other 3 cards equally and always PIF if you can.

I personally use CC's for everything and SD my debit card, earn rewards as much as you can.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I pay in full every month, leaving a little bit on one card as described by the forums. 

I worry about overlapping in reporting. Looks like I need to track who reports when so my scores don't dip because of overlapping reporting. I'm new at having all this access and I don't want to blow it. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it were me I'd make the PRG my primary card and then use the Freedom for 5% categories to accumulate some points before eventually getting a CSP.  But then again, I prefer travel rewards to straight cash back.  If you'd rather accumulate cashback, use the Freedom and BoA cards efficiently and then Amex cards for airfare and Delta benefits.

Message 4 of 10
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I thought that AMEX likes lots of swipes. Is that true? I'm not sure what the repurcussions would be to having it as my 3rd in line cards, but I do see your point for cash rewards.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex does like heavy usage, primarily you won't build up a high internal limit with only limited usage.  It sounds like a charge card just might not be right for you.  Are you looking to build a history with Amex for a future app, like a Blue Cash card or something?

Message 6 of 10
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I'd love to get the BCP. In the mean time, I'm just thinking about the cash back. 

Like others, I like the prestige that may come with carrying and using my AMEX PRG, so I may every so casually put it up when the bills comes when I'm out with company. The Delta card I use more for travel I fly Delta 2x/mo from east to west coast. 1-2-3 gets used with gas and groceries. The reason why I got the Chase card is to have at least a couple of cards with a reporting CL as my BoA (signature) and AMEX PRG don't. That leaves Chase and AMEX Delta to leverage better scores. Further, I'd like to not have them static. I really do want to build relationships with the CCCs. One just never knows when they'll be needed. 

Message 7 of 10
AvaMommy
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@MontegoMack wrote:

Use Chase for the quarterly categories.

Try to spread the luv with your other 3 cards equally and always PIF if you can.

I personally use CC's for everything and SD my debit card, earn rewards as much as you can.

Whats SD?

Starting Score: FAKO: TU 602 EQ 550 EX 565 - 08|2012
Current Score: MyFICO: TU 633 EQ 637 EX 669 (AMEX PULL)09|2012
Goal Score: 700 across the board In my wallet: NFCU cashRewards 12000CL, NFCU LOC 10K CL, BofA cashRewards 5000CL, BofA PP 3000CL, JAREDS (AU) 1500CL, SEARS (AU) 7000CL
Under my mattress: Orchard Bank 320CL and Saks Fifth Avenue 100CL. Finally in the Garden. App Free Since 9/18/12 - No apps until March 2013
Message 8 of 10
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Sock Drawer. 

You can search for Common Abbreviations" (it's under "Helpful Threads") and it'll be extremely helpful on this site.

Just an FYI

Message 9 of 10
AvaMommy
Frequent Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

I pay in full every month, leaving a little bit on one card as described by the forums. 

I worry about overlapping in reporting. Looks like I need to track who reports when so my scores don't dip because of overlapping reporting. I'm new at having all this access and I don't want to blow it. 

Montego...I too did the same. However, now I call the cc's find out when the billing cycle ends on all my cc's. Then made payments but check my CMS every day after the statement cut to see when they reported to the credit bureaus. I would look into that....it helps!!!

Starting Score: FAKO: TU 602 EQ 550 EX 565 - 08|2012
Current Score: MyFICO: TU 633 EQ 637 EX 669 (AMEX PULL)09|2012
Goal Score: 700 across the board In my wallet: NFCU cashRewards 12000CL, NFCU LOC 10K CL, BofA cashRewards 5000CL, BofA PP 3000CL, JAREDS (AU) 1500CL, SEARS (AU) 7000CL
Under my mattress: Orchard Bank 320CL and Saks Fifth Avenue 100CL. Finally in the Garden. App Free Since 9/18/12 - No apps until March 2013
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.