cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I opt IN for pre-approvals in the mail??

tag
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

How do I opt IN for pre-approvals in the mail??

I haven't gotten any offers in the mail and neither has my wife, i feel like I've read that you can opt in to receive them.

Also can some explain the back dating of amex? Why is it I should apply in jan if I got my first amex in sept of 2013?

12/28/13 (Garden Start Date)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Emdee_MD
New Contributor

Re: How do I opt IN for pre-approvals in the mail??

Not sure about your first question. But if you got your first AMEX in Sep of 2013. If you apply in January of 2014 for another AMEX and are approved. It will take the month of the year you are applying, but be associated with the year of your original membership. So it would be like opening that card back in January of 2013. 

NFCU Flagship - 24k; CapOne Venture - 12k; Chase Slate - 9k; Chase Sapphire - 7.5k; NFCU NavChek - 5k; Amex BCE - 6.5k; Discover IT - 6k; BarClays - 9k;
Message 2 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@ac921ol wrote:
I haven't gotten any offers in the mail and neither has my wife, i feel like I've read that you can opt in to receive them.

Also can some explain the back dating of amex? Why is it I should apply in jan if I got my first amex in sept of 2013?

this is the site to opt in or out, i know its confusing that in the name its opt out but you can do both on the site 

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 9
hot4u
Established Contributor

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

This link for opin our out..

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 4 of 9
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

So essentially it would help my CR cause it would add on another year on my AAoA, but also ding it cause of a HP.

12/28/13 (Garden Start Date)

Message 5 of 9
surgemorales
Established Member

Are pre-approvals by mail hardpulls ?
I currently in the process of rebuilding my credit. Experian has me at 740 and I've had a WF $500 secured card for about 2 years. I just recently got Macy $300 - Walmart $200 - Bank of America $500 (secured) - Chase Freedom $1K - Kohls $300 - JCrew $300 - Barclaycard - 1K - Buckle $300 - Sears Mastercard $400 - BestBuy Mastercard $400 - Guess I am gardening since Dec 31, 2013 for at least 6 months. Im screwed up during the holidays and acquired 6 new credit cards. Its so difficult!
Message 6 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Yes, pre-approvals, pre-qualified or pre-selected will be HPs
Message 7 of 9
Luscher
Valued Contributor

FYI: That opt-in form is only for people who have previously filled out the opt-out form. You are always opted in unless you filled out the form to opt-out
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@ac921ol wrote:

You're automatically opted in unless you have previously opted out. You can opt in using the link posted above, but the likelihood is that you just haven't met the marketing criteria for any particular CC.

Re: Amex, if you're thinking about getting a new Amex, it might be worth waiting from now until Jan - 3 mos - because if you get a new card today, it will be backdated to Oct 2013; whereas if you get it in January, it will be backdated to Jan 2013. However, if it's early in the year, it's not such a big deal. The difference between apping in Jan and March, for example is only 2 mos in your backdating. So, the only time to really pay attention to that is if you're looking at getting a new Amex at the end of the calendar year. Then you would, in effect, gain a year of backdating by waiting from Dec to Jan to app.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.