cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prove my ability to pay CC bills?

tag
Nadar
Established Member

How do I prove my ability to pay CC bills?

Hi, I would like to know how does someone with a new credit card and new credit file prove his payback ability?

Should I at least once go near 50 percent and pay in full to prove that I can indeed pay off high balances or do I stay below 30% (or 9 percent as suggested in fico forums)

Do CC issuers look favorably when someone  with a new card always barely it and has less than 10 percent utilization?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: How do I prove my ability to pay CC bills?

What exactly is your goal? Are you trying to go for Auto-CLI? What lender are we talking about? How long have you had the card?

I would tell you in general that you don't want over 10% to report at statement cut, especially if you're planning on applying for more credit sometime soon. And don't get too crazy. You really don't want to ever get over 80%, but even 50% util is bad.

And honestly the best way to show that you can pay is to pay on time. Every time.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 11
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Yes, it does vary from lender to lender. Some are more likely to give auto-CLIs if you frequently use 35-40 percent of you CL with them (Barclays, and IMHO Discover). Others don't like that at all. The main thing, though, if your only goal is to prove that you can pay, is to pay well above the minimum every month, and keep doing that forever.

To establish your reliability and financial stability, it's not necessary to PIF, though you might want to do that for other reasons. It's just necessary to show you can plug away, month after month.

Message 3 of 11
baller4life
Super Contributor

My strategy is to only charge what I can pif each month. Let less than 10% report on statement then pif by due date. NEVER pay late!!

Message 4 of 11
jaraico
Regular Contributor

dont carry balances, use it for everything! everytime you swipe they get paid and they love it=] plus paying your bill every month and lots of use will definitely get you cli

if you carry a balance like people have previously stated keep it as low as possible.

the 9% you mentioned i think is referring to your overall utilization from all credit cards.

anywho good luck!

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 5 of 11
samm90
New Contributor

I just use it and pif. I wouldn't intentionally spend extra, just use it instead of cash and debit. Pif so you don't get charged interest and collect rewards.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 6 of 11
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Message 7 of 11
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Nadar wrote:

Hi, I would like to know how does someone with a new credit card and new credit file prove his payback ability?

Should I at least once go near 50 percent and pay in full to prove that I can indeed pay off high balances or do I stay below 30% (or 9 percent as suggested in fico forums)

Do CC issuers look favorably when someone  with a new card always barely it and has less than 10 percent utilization?

Treat your new card and subsequent cards like debit cards.  Charge only what you can payoff in a month...every monthSmiley Wink  

Whether you're going to apply for additional credit or not, you should only let <10% on one card and zero on any remaining card balances (that's if you're playing the FICO game).  Good luck!

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 8 of 11
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@Nadar wrote:

Treat your new card and subsequent cards like debit cards.  Charge only what you can payoff in a month...every monthSmiley Wink  

Whether you're going to apply for additional credit or not, you should only let <10% on one card and zero on any remaining card balances (that's if you're playing the FICO game).  Good luck!

+1

Message 9 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Nadar wrote:

This can be informed by recent FICO.COM banking blogs.

The risks have been shown to be signifitcantly lower when people make total monthly payments that are at or above 200% of what the minimum payments would be if their LOCs were maxed out across the board.

Lets say you had a total CLs of 20k and your minimum payments were, say, $600/mo if you were maxed out.  If the monthly payments you make are $1200 or more then you would be considered low risk and additional CLIs would be more likely even if you carry higher than average balances - not that that;s a good idea.

Note that this doesn't mean you carry a balance. If your monthly PIF payments average over $1200 then your CLs would be supported.

This is a new area of banking research made possible by the new, more detailed, CRA reporting which includes not only balances but actual payments made.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.