cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove myself as an authorized user on a credit card?

tag
aathompson0701
New Visitor

How do I remove myself as an authorized user on a credit card?

How can I remove my name off of an old girlfriends credit card. The account is not in default nor is it having any negative effects on my credit, but in case she ever defaults, I would like to be clear of it. The card is from Sears and I have tried contacting them about the removal but since my social was never used to open an account, they only say that they can not help me, yet when I disputed the information to the credit bureaus, they say it is a valid account?? Im completely lost in how to fix this. I would hate for her to default and it affect my credit. (Oh, and we no longer have any form of communication to ask her to remove my name.)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do I remove myself as an authorized user on a credit card?

can you cancel your specific account?  I'm curious now...

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 2 of 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@aathompson0701 wrote:

How can I remove my name off of an old girlfriends credit card. The account is not in default nor is it having any negative effects on my credit, but in case she ever defaults, I would like to be clear of it. The card is from Sears and I have tried contacting them about the removal but since my social was never used to open an account, they only say that they can not help me, yet when I disputed the information to the credit bureaus, they say it is a valid account?? Im completely lost in how to fix this. I would hate for her to default and it affect my credit. (Oh, and we no longer have any form of communication to ask her to remove my name.)

Welocme to the forums!!!

I would consider staying on. At any time yo uca nremove yourself for AU status on any card so if the card should ever default you would be able to let it go.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. I would bypass the CSR and try emailing their EO. You have the account number, so they should be able to take care of it without her SSN.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.