New Visitor
aathompson0701

How do I remove myself as an authorized user on a credit card?

How can I remove my name off of an old girlfriends credit card. The account is not in default nor is it having any negative effects on my credit, but in case she ever defaults, I would like to be clear of it. The card is from Sears and I have tried contacting them about the removal but since my social was never used to open an account, they only say that they can not help me, yet when I disputed the information to the credit bureaus, they say it is a valid account?? Im completely lost in how to fix this. I would hate for her to default and it affect my credit. (Oh, and we no longer have any form of communication to ask her to remove my name.)

Frequent Contributor
somnipotent

Re: How do I remove myself as an authorized user on a credit card?

can you cancel your specific account?  I'm curious now...

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Mega Contributor
LS2982

aathompson0701 wrote:

How can I remove my name off of an old girlfriends credit card. The account is not in default nor is it having any negative effects on my credit, but in case she ever defaults, I would like to be clear of it. The card is from Sears and I have tried contacting them about the removal but since my social was never used to open an account, they only say that they can not help me, yet when I disputed the information to the credit bureaus, they say it is a valid account?? Im completely lost in how to fix this. I would hate for her to default and it affect my credit. (Oh, and we no longer have any form of communication to ask her to remove my name.)

Welocme to the forums!!!

I would consider staying on. At any time yo uca nremove yourself for AU status on any card so if the card should ever default you would be able to let it go.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
09Lexie

Welcome to the forum. I would bypass the CSR and try emailing their EO. You have the account number, so they should be able to take care of it without her SSN.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+