Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use NAVCHEK?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I use NAVCHEK?

Silly, I know.....but I have a navchek loc and have no clue how to use it? I could use the extra cash until next pay period since an expense came up but I dont know how to use this thing? I thought they would send checks but nope, all I got was a signature thing to return, this was weeks ago, its on my accounts but how do I use it> TIA!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do I use NAVCHEK?

You can request NavChek checks and they'll send a book of them. They don't come by default.

Or, for the immediate need, just overdraw your checking account and it will auto-transfer the necessary coverage from the NavChek. You can do so with a check or ATM/POS transaction.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Silly, I know.....but I have a navchek loc and have no clue how to use it? I could use the extra cash until next pay period since an expense came up but I dont know how to use this thing? I thought they would send checks but nope, all I got was a signature thing to return, this was weeks ago, its on my accounts but how do I use it> TIA!!

If it is anything like PenFed or Alliant's, you can just go online and transfer funds from NavCheck to your checking account and then write a check or use your Visa debit card to get the cash.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

1- assuming it is attached as overdraft protection you can just "write" a check from your checking account that will access the needed difference.

2- NFCU usually sends you a book of NAVCHEK checks to write specifically off that account.

3-You cannot transfer funds directly from Navchek to an account.

Message 4 of 9
rom828
Established Contributor

I've been a little confused about this, too!

Opened my account little over a year ago, and  did get the Navchek checks.

If  I wanted to use  Navchek, say to pay a bill on line, etc.....can I just use the routing number and accounts number of those Navchek checks?  Can you treat it just like any other checking acct or CC account on line?  Or do you have to overdraw your regular checking account to activate it?  I sort of feel uncomfortable with that.

Does Navchek  report to CRAs?  Mine's not reporting now, but I've never used it,  so I'm assuming they don't report it as a line of credit until you have activity or a balance.

And how do you pay it back?  Can you just transfer payment from you NFCU checking?

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rom828 wrote:

I've been a little confused about this, too!

Opened my account little over a year ago, and  did get the Navchek checks.

If  I wanted to use  Navchek, say to pay a bill on line, etc.....can I just use the routing number and accounts number of those Navchek checks?  Can you treat it just like any other checking acct or CC account on line?  Or do you have to overdraw your regular checking account to activate it?  I sort of feel uncomfortable with that.

Does Navchek  report to CRAs?  Mine's not reporting now, but I've never used it,  so I'm assuming they don't report it as a line of credit until you have activity or a balance.

And how do you pay it back?  Can you just transfer payment from you NFCU checking?

Yes, Navchek reports as a line of credit (first of the month) which is nice because it gets used to calculate utilization. I've never used it and it has reported for the two months I've had. I don't know why yours isn't reporting so you should probably contact them or perhaps leave a small balance to see if that will get it to report. You pay it back the same way you do your credit cards, you can transfer from your bank account to the navchek.

Message 6 of 9
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks for the advices, jay.

Maybe mine not reporting is an error, so think I'll call them on that.

Can use the Navcheck routing and account number to pay bills online...or do you have to physically write out and mail one of the checks??

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rom828 wrote:

Thanks for the advices, jay.

Maybe mine not reporting is an error, so think I'll call them on that.

Can use the Navcheck routing and account number to pay bills online...or do you have to physically write out and mail one of the checks??

Also, if it isn't reporting It could be used as a "hidden" tradeline which some people like because you can carry a balance and not hurt yout score. However, I wouldn't suggest it because then it might report out of the blue and tank your score.

Navchek is the same account number as your checking account. So you can just pay your bill using the checking account and it will withdraw the funds needed to cover from your Navchek.

Message 8 of 9
rom828
Established Contributor

Gotcha!  Would certainly be better for no balance to report in my case!

And I never noticed that the account numbers were the same...duh...I should start paying attention!! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks, again, jay, for the info!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.