cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use a credit card at the grocery?

tag
joestay
Frequent Contributor

How do I use a credit card at the grocery?

I know this is a stupid question but I never use my credit card at the grocery checkout before or in store.  What are the steps anyway?  I don't want to look like an idiot and not know what I am doing at the checkout.  Please be specific with the steps.  thanks

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: How do I use a credit card at the grocery?

There is probably a machine at the check out. Tell the cute girl behind the counter this is your first time and could she run the card through for you? She might find it charming and you might get lucky. Worst case she'll think you're an idiot but you will have learned how to use your credit card at the grocery store.

Message 2 of 30
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Joestay, all you need to do is swipe the card.  If you are at the self check-out, choose "credit" as your form of payment when you are done scanning your items.  It will tell you to swipe your card.  After that, you take your receipt.  You are done.

If there is a cashier, he/she will ask you "credit or debit" after you swipe the card.  Tell them "credit," then depending on the establishment you may need to sign for the transaction.  After that, take your receipt and you are done.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 30
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Okay, so the following is what will happen right?

1)  Cashier gives me total.

2)  I swipe the card..

3)  Then I sign transaction.

4)  Then I get reciept.

5)  Then I leave with my stuff.

Anything else I am missing here?  I will be going to costco by the way for this.

Message 4 of 30
Uniqua
Established Contributor

You are correct, but you may/may not have to "sign" for the transaction.  As I previously stated, it depends on the establishment.  I've never shopped at Costco's so I am not sure.  It's still no big deal.  Not to worry.  It's as simple as 1-2-3.  Happy CC shopping!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 30
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Joe,

If you are using your new TE card, they will use it as your member card and swipe it.

Then they will ask if you want to leave your purchase on the card. You can say, Yes, then sign on the screen.

Tada!

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 6 of 30
GregB
Valued Contributor

Just to be sure - You do know Costco only accepts Amex, right?

Message 7 of 30
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Some machines will default as a debit card when you swipe.

It will show the number pad for pin.  If this happens, you need to cancel and it will go to credit.

It is not that hard. 

Message 8 of 30
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@joestay wrote:

I know this is a stupid question but I never use my credit card at the grocery checkout before or in store.  What are the steps anyway?  I don't want to look like an idiot and not know what I am doing at the checkout.  Please be specific with the steps.  thanks

Hey, guy, there is no such thing as a stupid question in ANY of these forums. We all learned to sit, crawl, walk, run and figure out how to use these crazy things called credit cards work.Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@fused wrote:

Hey, guy, there is no such thing as a stupid question in ANY of these forums. We all learned to sit, crawl, walk, run and figure out how to use these crazy things called credit cards.Smiley Happy

I agree with fused. There are no stupid questions.

I wish I could say I've never given any stupid answers. Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.