cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use a credit card at the grocery?

tag
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Re: How do I use a credit card at the grocery?

I used to have a grudge against Discover, but I'm finding myself liking them more and more each day!

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you joestay, that you are going to use your cc to pay for your purchase.  I sees many of customers are still writing a check for their purchases and holding a line.

I would like to add the followings ...

1)  Cashier gives me total.

2)  Tell him/her that you want to pay with your cc.

3)  Cashier will select the payment method on his/her register

4)  I swipe the card..

5)  Select and push the "Credit" button (*some store may have touch screen type)

6)  If it ask for cash back, simply select and push "No" button ... normally it is red ...

7)  If it ask for your PIN number, simply select and push the "Enter" button .... normally it is green ...

8)  Then transaction will process and go through.

9)  Then I sign transaction... it depend on the store.  If it is under $25 or $50 you many not need to sign.  Some store will give you a paper to sign with any amount.

10)  Then I get receipt.

11)  Then I leave with my stuff.

It's easy and you will get use to it as you use it more.  Good Luck!

About PIN number?   I do have it, but I have never use it and I don't remember those numbers.  

In case of emergency situation and you really need some cash right away, it may better to know your PIN number to use Cash Advance on your cc.

Message 22 of 30
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Uniqua wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Just to add: I haven't read about this happening recently (that I can recall), but in the past CCC's sometimes took AA (adverse action) against cardholders who used a CC for a cash advance, especially if the card was newish. Presumably it looks as if you're truly desperate for cash.

I don't have a PIN for any of my CC's, or if they came with one (I think my PenFed Visa has one), I promptly forgot it.

I've been reading that there is actually one CCC that does not consider it a cash advance, or am I mistaken?  In any case, when I had my BofA CC, I used my pin to get back roughly $40 and they indeed considered that a cash advance.  No adverse action was taken, but this was long before the credit crunch we're facing today.

Walmart has a sweet cash back feature. It is considered just a regular purchase. 

Message 23 of 30
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Joe don't take cash out of your credit card unless you are in dire straits. They'll shut you down esp if it is a new card. Do not do it. 

Message 24 of 30
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Uniqua wrote:

You are correct, but you may/may not have to "sign" for the transaction.  As I previously stated, it depends on the establishment.  I've never shopped at Costco's so I am not sure.  It's still no big deal.  Not to worry.  It's as simple as 1-2-3.  Happy CC shopping!  Smiley Happy

Where I live in CT, supermarkets usually want a signature for all credit card purchases, but many pharmacies only want a signature if it's over 25 bucks.  Note also that an increasing number of stores here have you sign with a stylus on a touchscreen device instead of on a piece of paper.  Usually what they get from me is a rapid squiggle resembling the hieroglyphics with which physicians sign prescriptionsSmiley Tongue

One thing that is totally inconsistent from one store to the next is the correct orientation of the card.  If the slot is horizontal, some need the magnetic stripe facing up and some need the magnetic stripe facing down and some work in either orientation; if the slot is vertical some need the magnetic stripe facing left and some need it facing right and some work either way.

Back in the 1970s I worked at a retail store back in the days before magnetic stripe readers, when credit cards were run through a machine that captured the embossed printing with carbon paper; we had to call an 800 number and get an approval code from the bank for every transaction.  Tedious.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 25 of 30
joestay
Frequent Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

Joe don't take cash out of your credit card unless you are in dire straits. They'll shut you down esp if it is a new card. Do not do it. 

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Cash out is only available if you enter a PIN right?  If that is the case, then I wouldn't worry at all since I don't know the PIN.  If it doesn't require a PIN, then I will be more cutious. 

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Uniqua wrote:

You are correct, but you may/may not have to "sign" for the transaction.  As I previously stated, it depends on the establishment.  I've never shopped at Costco's so I am not sure.  It's still no big deal.  Not to worry.  It's as simple as 1-2-3.  Happy CC shopping!  Smiley Happy

Where I live in CT, supermarkets usually want a signature for all credit card purchases, but many pharmacies only want a signature if it's over 25 bucks.  Note also that an increasing number of stores here have you sign with a stylus on a touchscreen device instead of on a piece of paper.  Usually what they get from me is a rapid squiggle resembling the hieroglyphics with which physicians sign prescriptionsSmiley Tongue

One thing that is totally inconsistent from one store to the next is the correct orientation of the card.  If the slot is horizontal, some need the magnetic stripe facing up and some need the magnetic stripe facing down and some work in either orientation; if the slot is vertical some need the magnetic stripe facing left and some need it facing right and some work either way.

Back in the 1970s I worked at a retail store back in the days before magnetic stripe readers, when credit cards were run through a machine that captured the embossed printing with carbon paper; we had to call an 800 number and get an approval code from the bank for every transaction.  Tedious.

I used to work as a retail cashier in the 70s also.  I remember we would punch in the acct number into the register and certain codes would require us to call.  Man, that could take a long time.  I remember one time when I called they told me to cut the card up!  I called the service desk for a manager and a pair of scissors.

Message 27 of 30
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MattH wrote:

@Uniqua wrote:

I used to work as a retail cashier in the 70s also.  I remember we would punch in the acct number into the register and certain codes would require us to call.  Man, that could take a long time.  I remember one time when I called they told me to cut the card up!  I called the service desk for a manager and a pair of scissors.

I never had them ask me to destroy the card, that must really have been fun.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 28 of 30
honeybunnygal
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

*sigh* I wish someone had done that for me when I was younger before I got myself in trouble with my CCs!

Hard work & patience can go a long way!
8/2009 (myFICO): TU - 599, EQ - 656
7/23/2010 (LO pull): TU - 738, EQ - 801, EX - 785
4/12/2012 (myFICO): TU -778, EQ - 791
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I never had them ask me to destroy the card, that must really have been fun.

That's why I asked for the manager along with the scissors.  Declines weren't incredibly uncommon, and sometimes people would get nasty about it.  That was the only time they asked me to cut it up.  The customer didn't particularly react, as far as I remember.  Of course, it was a while ago . . . .

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.