Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do biz cards impact applications for personal cards

tag
red259
Super Contributor

How do biz cards impact applications for personal cards

I'm going to pick up some business cards at some point and I am wondering how that will impact my personal credit. Obviously when you app they require a HP and they don't report to the CRA unless you miss payments etc. However, will your credit lines on biz cards impact the overall credit line a lender may be willing to extend you on your personal cards? Will having biz cards help you when you apply for personal cards with the same lenders? Will the number of biz cards you have with a lender end up impacting how many personal cards you can get with the lender? If you close biz cards has anyone been able to transfer credit lines to personal accounts?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: How do biz cards impact applications for personal cards

@red259 wrote:

I'm going to pick up some business cards at some point and I am wondering how that will impact my personal credit. Obviously when you app they require a HP and they don't report to the CRA unless you miss payments etc. However, will your credit lines on biz cards impact the overall credit line a lender may be willing to extend you on your personal cards? Will having biz cards help you when you apply for personal cards with the same lenders? Will the number of biz cards you have with a lender end up impacting how many personal cards you can get with the lender? If you close biz cards has anyone been able to transfer credit lines to personal accounts?

Sure, the overall total exposure is taken into account when considering new cards with a lender. Not sure if it hurts or not when you apply for personal cards. AMEX does not let you transfer between business and personal cards ever. Chase might, I do not know for sure. Amex limits you to 4 revolvers but the mix of the card type is up to you. 

Message 2 of 3
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: How do biz cards impact applications for personal cards

@red259 wrote:

I'm going to pick up some business cards at some point and I am wondering how that will impact my personal credit. Obviously when you app they require a HP and they don't report to the CRA unless you miss payments etc.

1.However, will your credit lines on biz cards impact the overall credit line a lender may be willing to extend you on your personal cards?

2.Will having biz cards help you when you apply for personal cards with the same lenders?

3.Will the number of biz cards you have with a lender end up impacting how many personal cards you can get with the lender?

4.If you close biz cards has anyone been able to transfer credit lines to personal accounts?

1.Yes; in my experience they count it all the same.

2.Yes, as long as your may payments on time and don't do anything negative with the account.

3.As scenery_guy pointed out, American Express limits the total amount of cards, so yes. However, with other lenders they take into account the total amount of credit extended. So you could have ten personal and ten business as long as you are within their total exposure for you.

4.Chase will do it only if you request a limit increase on the personal card first. After the increase is processed you have to ring the Lending Department and they will do it. US Bank let me close a business card and transfer the whole limit to a new personal card I applied for.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.