Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do the best gardeners do it?

tag
stlsme
New Contributor

How do the best gardeners do it?

I let the last offer exprire from USAA 6 days ago. For two months every time I logged in (you have to go to the my offers tab if your a member of this site cmon) I didn't hit the apply button for the World Mastercard. I will admit it was pretty hard not to do it. I have an auto loan pre-approval in there that expires next month that I am going to take. I logged into the site today to look at cars through the car buying service and low and behold...... The Mastercard offer is back...... I don't want anymore cards just to have cards but they gave me a 7k amex in Nov. I want to wait until Oct to get two more cards which will be the Arrival and Costco Amex. Finally I have my credit back on a solid surface and want to move forward but this is hard...........

EX: 844 EQ: 848 TU: 839
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

Credit is addicting,, I know it is.  But you have to think to yourself.  Do I need this?  Will I use this????

I hang out in the garden and let MJ and Wade64 threaten to beat me if I apply.  lol.....

Sometimes just knowing can be enough.  When asked at a store if I want to apply for their card, I just tell them NO, I have too many to keep up with now.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 49
RnJ
Contributor

Simple solution:  stop logging in, stop watching "offers".  Take a break from it and do something else that you love (as long as it's not addictive, lol)

Message 3 of 49
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Credit is addicting,, I know it is.  But you have to think to yourself.  Do I need this?  Will I use this????

I hang out in the garden and let MJ and Wade64 threaten to beat me if I apply.  lol.....

Sometimes just knowing can be enough.  When asked at a store if I want to apply for their card, I just tell them NO, I have too many to keep up with now.

@ shogun, buddy only you could come up with something like that Smiley LOL  The way I stay in the garden is, my goal was to reach the 800 club in which I have! Now I want my AAoA to grow so when I do app I will still have my AAoA around 6 years !!! You have to set goals that you want to reach and stick to them. For me gardening is easy. Also I go into the garden club to just talk and have fun ( got to pick on cold ) and I don't even think of aping. Good luck to you Smiley Happy 

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 49
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@RnJ wrote:

Simple solution:  stop logging in, stop watching "offers".  Take a break from it and do something else that you love (as long as it's not addictive, lol)

Yeah don't go looking for offers! You also need to opt- out that way you won't get and offers in the mail. It takes a lot will power .

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 49
blondy250
Established Contributor

Basically I have all the credit I need. I'm on the opt out list so I dont get many offers. It's sort of addicting to see how long you can go without any inquires for me as well.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 6 of 49
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

Basically I have all the credit I need. I'm on the opt out list so I dont get many offers. It's sort of addicting to see how long you can go without any inquires for me as well.

Great point blondy Smiley Happy my other goal is to get the Diamond Spade! Congrats on your Diamond spadeSmiley Wink I am on my way there too!!! OP set you some goals , it will help you 

Message 7 of 49
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I go to my SD, pull out my most usleless card (GM WEMC), face palm, and tell myself "never again!"
Message 8 of 49
wonderandawe
Valued Member

I think it helps that I don't see credit cards as status symbols but a means to an end.  I need the ability to get car loans and buy a house.  Credit cards allow me to show future creditors that I am a good steward of my credit.

I also have a bit of fear of credit cards.  My parents have declared bankrupcy twice and still have issues with debt.  I made some mistakes while I was in college that took me a long time to recover from.  I have a lot more rejections than approvals in my past.  Each approval is still a surprise to me and comes with the fear that I will make the same mistakes my parents made.

I've seen to fall into the habit of doing a yearly "planting" and gardening for the rest of the year.   Keeps my inquries in line and allows me to plan better for big purchases.   After this year's planting, I will probably be in the garden for a good long while, at least a year or two.  My next step will be a house! Smiley Very Happy

myFICO Equifax - 675 (June 2013)
myFICO TransUnion - 700! (June 2013)
Credit Karma - 682 (June 2013)
Starting Score - 603 (December 2012)

In the garden since 6/7/2013
Message 9 of 49
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@stlsme wrote:

I let the last offer exprire from USAA 6 days ago. For two months every time I logged in (you have to go to the my offers tab if your a member of this site cmon) I didn't hit the apply button for the World Mastercard. I will admit it was pretty hard not to do it. I have an auto loan pre-approval in there that expires next month that I am going to take. I logged into the site today to look at cars through the car buying service and low and behold...... The Mastercard offer is back...... I don't want anymore cards just to have cards but they gave me a 7k amex in Nov. I want to wait until Oct to get two more cards which will be the Arrival and Costco Amex. Finally I have my credit back on a solid surface and want to move forward but this is hard...........

I figure anytime you are gardening, you just need to avoid any manure that others have spread in your path.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.