Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do the best gardeners do it?

tag
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

What motivates me from applying for credit over and over is that look at me going to the bank in my college years getting declined for a simple 300 CC. Sometimes reality does it to you. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 21 of 49
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Nothing out there really floats my boat or adds value. I haven't applied for a credit card in over two years but am still have two more student loans coming up.

Inquiries are like cooties. Who really wants cooties? Smiley Happy

Also, you really learn a lot here about credit. I remember when CA was car shopping: He posted a buttload of information about leases, how they're structured, pros/cons of different companies, cost of ownership calculators, and even taxes!! I didn't know any of that stuff before.

I do track when inquiries fall off, though. EX will be cootie-free by September.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 49
Brax
Frequent Contributor

@studiogeek wrote:

Get out more. Stay off credit forums ;-)

+1

Staying off these forums (MyFico especially) does wonders for your AAoA.

Message 23 of 49
budugu
Regular Contributor

@Brax wrote:

@studiogeek wrote:

+1

Staying off these forums (MyFico especially) does wonders for your AAoA.

Yes! this ^

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 24 of 49
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I don't even know what it feels like to have an offer on USAA. How in the world do you even get one of those?!
Message 25 of 49
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Smiley Tonguedrkaje wrote:

Nothing out there really floats my boat or adds value. I haven't applied for a credit card in over two years but am still have two more student loans coming up.

Inquiries are like cooties. Who really wants cooties? Smiley Happy

Also, you really learn a lot here about credit. I remember when CA was car shopping: He posted a buttload of information about leases, how they're structured, pros/cons of different companies, cost of ownership calculators, and even taxes!! I didn't know any of that stuff before.

I do track when inquiries fall off, though. EX will be cootie-free by September.

Found one for you....

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 26 of 49
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@Wade64 wrote:

@studiogeek wrote:

That's how we learn about credit the do's and don't   Smiley Surprised

True, but it's also very difficult when you find out from here about more and more cards you might not have even thought of. The perks, the limits, the aprs, the credit limit increases, the FICOs... It is all very seductive at times. Especially when you see people posting about approvals and they have lower scores or their situation seems some how sub par to yours. It makes you think you can get an approval because the other person did. It's also nice to simply GET an approval for a variety of reasons.

Avoiding the forums DOES help a lot of people and it is especially helpful to not visit the approval forum for some of us.  Chatting or joking in the garden club, reading the rebuilding forum, or scoring forum can help a lot, but sometimes it might not be enough for some people. (and that is okay too!)

OP- what ever you need to do, to make "gardening" or not apping, fixing your "baddies" or any thing else.. do that. Keep your eye on what ever your goals may be, and always try to do some sort of risk / benefit analysis. Ask yourself "what is really in it for me?" "If I apply now, are my chances of being approved high or am I risking another inquiry for nothing?" "Will I get the terms, rates, and limits that make this application worth it if I manage to get approved, and will they be acceptable to me?"

I am going to stay away from approvals for the next few weeks for that exact reason. I thought I could live vicariously but it hasn't worked so well for me as I am reseting my garden clock today.  Goals, goals, goals. Set them, monitor them, meet them!  Don't forget to celebrate!!!!!

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 27 of 49
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ VirtualCuriosity,

If the day ever comes that a sailboat is fully enjoyable..... I won't need no stinking credit cards! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 49
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Treat your inquires like gold. Every time I see the words "App Spree" in a post, I cringe. I have yet to read a justifiable reason for filling out 4 or 5 credit applications in a day.

Life isn't fair and credit is even more unfair. It takes time to get your credit where you want it. But only one billing cycle to put it on skid row. Realize this and ask yourself each time you get ready to click "submit"...Is this a need or a want. Your "need" credit cards should far outweigh your "want" credit cards.

I'll admit, I have both types of cards. Nothing wrong with that. But keep the bigger picture in mind.

Message 29 of 49
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@tmbr10 wrote:

Treat your inquires like gold. Every time I see the words "App Spree" in a post, I cringe. I have yet to read a justifiable reason for filling out 4 or 5 credit applications in a day.

Life isn't fair and credit is even more unfair. It takes time to get your credit where you want it. But only one billing cycle to put it on skid row. Realize this and ask yourself each time you get ready to click "submit"...Is this a need or a want. Your "need" credit cards should far outweigh your "want" credit cards.

I'll admit, I have both types of cards. Nothing wrong with that. But keep the bigger picture in mind.

well stated. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.