Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do the best gardeners do it?

tag
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

After getting a series of denials in the past, finally getting approved for a prime card kinda fueled a "desire" to get approved for several more. That's what happened to me. Then lurking at these forums made me discover new cards I could qualify for. After a couple of denials though (after getting good cards and this time because of too many inquiries, new accounts opened, etc), I knew I had to slow down (sort of like, quit while you're still a little ahead?). Anyway, I did manage to get to a point where I question the need for another card/inquiry/approval and if it will add to my credit history or pull me down in the long run. I'm by no means a great gardener at this point but I'm definitely working on it!

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 31 of 49
Boragard
Established Contributor

@stlsme wrote:

I let the last offer exprire from USAA 6 days ago. For two months every time I logged in (you have to go to the my offers tab if your a member of this site cmon) I didn't hit the apply button for the World Mastercard. I will admit it was pretty hard not to do it. I have an auto loan pre-approval in there that expires next month that I am going to take. I logged into the site today to look at cars through the car buying service and low and behold...... The Mastercard offer is back...... I don't want anymore cards just to have cards but they gave me a 7k amex in Nov. I want to wait until Oct to get two more cards which will be the Arrival and Costco Amex. Finally I have my credit back on a solid surface and want to move forward but this is hard...........

Well I am still a newbie to the myfico forums and gardening.  I must say that it is indeed hard to garden when reading of other approvals on the site.  I have told myself I would not log on at all while gardening as it makes me want to app.  However, after reading the forums, I finally got the two cards that I REALLY wanted.  Now that I have them, no other cards out there "excite" me anymore. It is now easier for me to read of other approvals.  But for me it took 3 months to get my credit in shape and apply for the Amex Green and Chase Freedom.  Now that I have them I am happy and satisfied.  My tips are to figure out what cards you want/need and either apply for them, or garden if you can't.  They will always be there for you after you leave the garden.   

Message 32 of 49
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Given that everything is time dependent in the FICO algorithms, app sprees for cards you can be approved for wind up being better statistically as long as you're applying for cards that actually have a purpose in your finances or in putting lipstick on one's report. Bunch of threads here discussing that.

That said I'd strongly discourage anyone from simply applying for a bunch of store cards in a spree because they can: that's a slippery slope leading to nowhere useful.

In any event back on topic: goals, goals, goals. If that doesn't work walk away from the forum and/or freeze your reports.

In my case I am gardening until I get a mortgage or I give up on the dream of home ownership. It helps that other than a high tier card or two there's nothing I want/need and I know I don't qualify for them anyway currently.

        
Message 33 of 49
stlsme
New Contributor

I do have some very specific things I want to happen this year from a credit standpoint. I won't stray off the line because i don't want to get denied for those things. I guess those could be consider goals. My scores for the first time in four years will be over 700 across the board witin the next three months and I want to use those. However with the dicipline I have had to use during that time is what will keep my scores high forever. It boils down to I have a case of the I wants and would like to add a few premium cards. All with due time for sure i guess. Sigh!!!

EX: 844 EQ: 848 TU: 839
Message 34 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

For me the best method was adding a Barclaycard and I immediately started to behave....best method for me to keep me from  apping too frequently...Smiley Embarassed

(apps every 6 months for 1 card - thank you Barclays)

Message 35 of 49
baller4life
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

For me the best method was adding a Barclaycard and I immediately started to behave....best method for me to keep me from  apping too frequently...Smiley Embarassed

Smiley Very Happy That's funny but very true!

Message 36 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

I will find out end of May or beginning June if Barclays sees it also that way..LOL..plan to app for the Sallie Mae my 2nd card with them Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 49
stlsme
New Contributor

That's funny the October wait is in fact for a Barclays arrival card. 

EX: 844 EQ: 848 TU: 839
Message 38 of 49
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@stlsme wrote:

That's funny the October wait is in fact for a Barclays arrival card. 

oh..that is the exact same card that is teaching me self discipline since May 2013...and it is good like that. I would have pulled the trigger at least twice without that card. I needed a little help from outside Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

LOL...That is pretty funny!

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.