Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do the best gardeners do it?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

@Revelate wrote:
Given that everything is time dependent in the FICO algorithms, app sprees for cards you can be approved for wind up being better statistically as long as you're applying for cards that actually have a purpose in your finances or in putting lipstick on one's report. Bunch of threads here discussing that.

+1

All things being equal, for those with young files or rebuilding, it is far more efficient to start with mulitiple quality TLs (Amex, Discover, National Banks) with HPs and new accounts close together (since they all fall off within this narrow range), than it would to apply for a new TL every year or two.  This will accelerate the building and/or rebuidling much faster than a more tempered pace.

Also, early on, it's important to open TLs with the following:  (1) AmEx, for obvious reasons; (2) initial TLs should all be no-annual fee, it possible; and, (3) then, garden for 2 years, with an annual January AmEx app.

Before you know it, Fico will be at or near 750.  Voila, then use the credit score for whatever benefits fit your needs, and commensurate to your resources.

Message 41 of 49
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:
Given that everything is time dependent in the FICO algorithms, app sprees for cards you can be approved for wind up being better statistically as long as you're applying for cards that actually have a purpose in your finances or in putting lipstick on one's report. Bunch of threads here discussing that.

+1

All things being equal, for those with young files or rebuilding, it is far more efficient to start with mulitiple quality TLs (Amex, Discover, National Banks) with HPs and new accounts close together (since they all fall off within this narrow range), than it would to apply for a new TL every year or two.  This will accelerate the building and/or rebuidling much faster than a more tempered pace.

Also, early on, it's important to open TLs with the following:  (1) AmEx, for obvious reasons; (2) initial TLs should all be no-annual fee, it possible; and, (3) then, garden for 2 years, with an annual January AmEx app.

Before you know it, Fico will be at or near 750.  Voila, then use the credit score for whatever benefits fit your needs, and commensurate to your resources.

+2. Also for those who are more "seasoned" with higher scores, it's good "to know your price" regarding signup bonuses. Having a good idea of the minimum it takes for you to jump on an offer will make you think twice about cards that don't meet that standard.

For cards you intend to keep longer-term, look at not just what that card provides but also how it fits into the bigger picture of your credit portfolio. You should ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do I need it?

2. Does it fill a gap in my current lineup, or will it replace a current one because it's superior in some way?

3. Can I afford to take the INQ hit at this time?

4. Am I willing to pay the AF (if any) because the benefits to me outweigh the costs?

For cards that you plan to keep over the long-haul, your answer to all 4 questions should be yes.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 42 of 49
USF813
Frequent Contributor

It's all about willpower.
Message 43 of 49
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

Well if that's the case, there is no hope for me...lol!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 44 of 49
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

Well if that's the case, there is no hope for me...lol!

It's hope for everyone Smiley Happy and it does take a lot of will power. you need to set you some goals

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 45 of 49
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@tmbr10 wrote:

Treat your inquires like gold. Every time I see the words "App Spree" in a post, I cringe. I have yet to read a justifiable reason for filling out 4 or 5 credit applications in a day.

Life isn't fair and credit is even more unfair. It takes time to get your credit where you want it. But only one billing cycle to put it on skid row. Realize this and ask yourself each time you get ready to click "submit"...Is this a need or a want. Your "need" credit cards should far outweigh your "want" credit cards.

I'll admit, I have both types of cards. Nothing wrong with that. But keep the bigger picture in mind.

+1

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 46 of 49
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Focusing my goals more on cash helps, too. A million dollar CL would improve my score but have zero impact on quality of life. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 47 of 49
Drew
Frequent Contributor

What I've been doing is telling myself that all my current cards have to be at a specific CL before I apply for a new one. That way, my next card will also start with a high CL (I'm guessing). In my case, I want all of my CL's at 20k or more.
Message 48 of 49
bearze34
Established Member

It is tough. There is something really fun about filling out that app, looking over the disclosures, anticipating the outcome, hitting the final "apply" button, and then being approved for a nice CLI. Then, anticipating the arrival of the card and using it for the first time. Of course, being rejected is a bummer.
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.