Reply
New Contributor
Joebunaga
Posts: 72
Registered: ‎06-14-2013
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

I don't fall into the category of one of the best gardeners, but I think I'm pretty good at it. I've got a few things that drive me.

I love my girlfriend, we want to buy a house, no apping until we figure that out.

Reading and researching what I can do next fills the void of "what can I get next?" plus it helps me prep for the whatever is next. It also allows me time to maximize and understand any benefits that I might've missed on my existing accounts.

Alot of times, when you miss an offer... it'll come back at some point. If you wait and research, you might even find a better offer(had that with happen with Chase, earned an extra $100).

 


I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.

FICO(Barclay9\22\14) TU: 797 | FICO EX: 780 | FICO EQ(9\13\14):808 | In the Garden from 5/8/14 until ???
UFCU Visa $5k | Cap1 QS $10K | Jetblue Amex $18K | CSP $6.5K | Amex Green (NPSL) | Chase Freedom $18k | Sallie Mae WMC $15.5k| BoA 1-2-3 Visa $7.5k| Amex Everyday $12.5| Amex Fidelity $10k|
Moderator Emeritus
tinuviel
Posts: 4,875
Registered: ‎11-02-2010
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

I think it's important to set goals, and to separate wants from needs. I'm anticipating getting a car loan towards the end of summer, so I don't want any unnecessary inqs on my reports. I'm focused on allowing my existing accounts to age and to let inqs fall off. So if I'm offered another card, I have to think about whether it would really benefit me, and it that benefit would outweigh my current goals. Since I'm already happy with the cards I have, and they're serving me well, it doesn't make sense to pick up another card "just because." So, I continue along with gardening.

 

Of course, that's why the Garden Club was founded. It gives people a place to hang out on this forum, support each other and have some fun in the process. We have achievement badges called "spades" to help give us something tangible to strive for until we reach our goals. Feel free to come and join us and see if the GC is a good place for you.


Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Valued Contributor
indiolatino61
Posts: 1,483
Registered: ‎11-10-2012
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?


stlsme wrote:

I let the last offer exprire from USAA 6 days ago. For two months every time I logged in (you have to go to the my offers tab if your a member of this site cmon) I didn't hit the apply button for the World Mastercard. I will admit it was pretty hard not to do it. I have an auto loan pre-approval in there that expires next month that I am going to take. I logged into the site today to look at cars through the car buying service and low and behold...... The Mastercard offer is back...... I don't want anymore cards just to have cards but they gave me a 7k amex in Nov. I want to wait until Oct to get two more cards which will be the Arrival and Costco Amex. Finally I have my credit back on a solid surface and want to move forward but this is hard...........


I'm usually frightened into it by MyJourney...lol!

 photo Logo-CreditCardCollection-DataInclusive_zpsf395b751.jpg
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney
Posts: 26,659
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?


Shogun wrote:

Credit is addicting,, I know it is.  But you have to think to yourself.  Do I need this?  Will I use this????

 

I hang out in the garden and let MJ and Wade64 threaten to beat me if I apply.  lol.....

 

Sometimes just knowing can be enough.  When asked at a store if I want to apply for their card, I just tell them NO, I have too many to keep up with now.


ROFLOL

 

OP it can be hard to say no and stop applying for credit .

The garden was founded with that in mind.

It offers a great support system and you name your own goals.

Now as Shogun mentioned we may help assist you in time of weakness....Lol

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13


Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney
Posts: 26,659
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?


indiolatino61 wrote:

stlsme wrote:

I let the last offer exprire from USAA 6 days ago. For two months every time I logged in (you have to go to the my offers tab if your a member of this site cmon) I didn't hit the apply button for the World Mastercard. I will admit it was pretty hard not to do it. I have an auto loan pre-approval in there that expires next month that I am going to take. I logged into the site today to look at cars through the car buying service and low and behold...... The Mastercard offer is back...... I don't want anymore cards just to have cards but they gave me a 7k amex in Nov. I want to wait until Oct to get two more cards which will be the Arrival and Costco Amex. Finally I have my credit back on a solid surface and want to move forward but this is hard...........


I'm usually frightened into it by MyJourney...lol!


You too huh Lol

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13


Valued Member
studiogeek
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎03-18-2013
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

Get out more. Stay off credit forums ;-)

Aug 2012 TU/EQ/EX 500's (zero positive credit, one 6 year old CO for $1100) Rebuild->Cap 1 secured $200->TU 610 EQ/EX 640, Shell $500 (cli) $750, Macy's $500, Bloomie's $500 ->(cli $1.2K), Victorias' Secret $750->(cli 1K) (level 2 moves) NFCU Visa Signature $15K/$20K, USAA $4K, Amex Blue $9K/$37K, Amex Costco $10.5K Penfed Visa $2.5K, OCCU Beaver $20K, Amex SP Gold(no limit), Chase PRG 26K ~ MyFico TU775 EQ789 EX766 / $0-$200,000 CL in just 18 months.
Valued Contributor
-Wade-
Posts: 12,624
Registered: ‎08-13-2013
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?


studiogeek wrote:

Get out more. Stay off credit forums ;-)


That's how we learn about credit the do's and don't   :smileysurprised:

Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 806 (04/04/2014) Discover TU Fico - 813 (09/02/2014) myFico EX - 804 ( 07/08/2014 ) ******* Amex - BCP 10 K * Discover - IT 10.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 8.8 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K ****** FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 806 *** TU 813 *** EX 804 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 830's Scores ******
Valued Contributor
-Wade-
Posts: 12,624
Registered: ‎08-13-2013
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

[ Edited ]

myjourney wrote:

indiolatino61 wrote:

stlsme wrote:

I let the last offer exprire from USAA 6 days ago. For two months every time I logged in (you have to go to the my offers tab if your a member of this site cmon) I didn't hit the apply button for the World Mastercard. I will admit it was pretty hard not to do it. I have an auto loan pre-approval in there that expires next month that I am going to take. I logged into the site today to look at cars through the car buying service and low and behold...... The Mastercard offer is back...... I don't want anymore cards just to have cards but they gave me a 7k amex in Nov. I want to wait until Oct to get two more cards which will be the Arrival and Costco Amex. Finally I have my credit back on a solid surface and want to move forward but this is hard...........


I'm usually frightened into it by MyJourney...lol!


You too huh Lol


Lord Lord @ MJ ..... TOOO FUNNYYY

Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 806 (04/04/2014) Discover TU Fico - 813 (09/02/2014) myFico EX - 804 ( 07/08/2014 ) ******* Amex - BCP 10 K * Discover - IT 10.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 8.8 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K ****** FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 806 *** TU 813 *** EX 804 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 830's Scores ******
Established Contributor
VirtualCuriosity
Posts: 812
Registered: ‎09-10-2010
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?

[ Edited ]

stlsme wrote:

I let the last offer exprire from USAA 6 days ago. For two months every time I logged in (you have to go to the my offers tab if your a member of this site cmon) I didn't hit the apply button for the World Mastercard. I will admit it was pretty hard not to do it. I have an auto loan pre-approval in there that expires next month that I am going to take. I logged into the site today to look at cars through the car buying service and low and behold...... The Mastercard offer is back...... I don't want anymore cards just to have cards but they gave me a 7k amex in Nov. I want to wait until Oct to get two more cards which will be the Arrival and Costco Amex. Finally I have my credit back on a solid surface and want to move forward but this is hard...........


Yeah, I understand how it can be difficult to stick to specific goals when there is so much temptation.  Especially when debt is the most aggressively marketed product in our culture today, bar none.  There is an obvious reason for that. 


TU711, EQ 731 , EX 706 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

UTL 0-3% at any given time

Gardening since 11-21-14































Valued Contributor
notfancy
Posts: 3,679
Registered: ‎11-23-2013
0

Re: How do the best gardeners do it?


Wade64 wrote:

studiogeek wrote:

Get out more. Stay off credit forums ;-)


That's how we learn about credit the do's and don't   :smileysurprised:


True, but it's also very difficult when you find out from here about more and more cards you might not have even thought of. The perks, the limits, the aprs, the credit limit increases, the FICOs... It is all very seductive at times. Especially when you see people posting about approvals and they have lower scores or their situation seems some how sub par to yours. It makes you think you can get an approval because the other person did. It's also nice to simply GET an approval for a variety of reasons.

 

Avoiding the forums DOES help a lot of people and it is especially helpful to not visit the approval forum for some of us.  Chatting or joking in the garden club, reading the rebuilding forum, or scoring forum can help a lot, but sometimes it might not be enough for some people. (and that is okay too!)

 

OP- what ever you need to do, to make "gardening" or not apping, fixing your "baddies" or any thing else.. do that. Keep your eye on what ever your goals may be, and always try to do some sort of risk / benefit analysis. Ask yourself "what is really in it for me?" "If I apply now, are my chances of being approved high or am I risking another inquiry for nothing?" "Will I get the terms, rates, and limits that make this application worth it if I manage to get approved, and will they be acceptable to me?"

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}