cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do they verify income when you apply for a credit card?

tag
wemmington
Valued Member

How do they verify income when you apply for a credit card?

If you apply for a credit card and they only have access to your credit file how do they have any idea if a person is telling the truth about their income.  

If someone has great credit but an income of 60k and another has great credit with income of 200k wouldnt they get approved at very different credit limits?  

Thanks 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: How do they verify income when you apply for a credit card?

yes, they could possibly get approved for different limits.

they can verify your income by asking you to submit financial records, like your bank statements.  so don't lie on your applications!

Message 2 of 20
manyquestions
Established Contributor

They don't really know unless they ask you for proof of income like paystubs or tax returns.  Typically credit cards are "stated income" loans where they take what you give them at face value.  Big banks typically take their chances, credit unions typically ask for proof of income.

Some like Nordstroms don't even ask for income, maybe because they figure so many people lie anyway. LOL.  They just go by credit report.  They can see what others have given you and how you have managed your accounts. 

With some banks they give you a percent of income (like 10%) for your credit limit, so then it would matter whether you put down $200k vs $60k. 

So, in summary, they often don't know if you are telling the truth, and yeah, it can make a difference in the credit limit you receive.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

my best guess is that they don't check incomes.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a few that ask where you work and for work phone numbers, I have had at least one call my work and verify my income. I don't remember which card it was that did that, but my boss did let me know he had verified my income with them.
Message 5 of 20
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
There are a few that ask where you work and for work phone numbers, I have had at least one call my work and verify my income. I don't remember which card it was that did that, but my boss did let me know he had verified my income with them.

I thought that the most that an employer can give out is that you work there but that an employer is not allowed to give out any other information such as income information
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MojaveMoon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought that the most that an employer can give out is that you work there but that an employer is not allowed to give out any other information such as income information

"I think the way it works is, If someone asks "How much does whoever make?" they won't give it out, but when they already know the wages you are supposed to be making they can ask your employer a yes or no question, such as "I am verifying income on a credit app, does this person make this amount?"

Message 7 of 20
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Thank you Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 20
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MojaveMoon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"I think the way it works is, If someone asks "How much does whoever make?" they won't give it out, but when they already know the wages you are supposed to be making they can ask your employer a yes or no question, such as "I am verifying income on a credit app, does this person make this amount?"

Actually, i can only speak for New York and not the country, however a manager can only verify proof of employment. We can not under any circumstance ever speak about salary. It is up to the individual to provide paystubs not the company. 

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oracles wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MojaveMoon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually, i can only speak for New York and not the country, however a manager can only verify proof of employment. We can not under any circumstance ever speak about salary. It is up to the individual to provide paystubs not the company. 

I may be mistaken, now that you mention it, it was quite awhile ago and it may have just been an employment verification.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.