Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you ask for recon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you ask for recon?

I am fairly new to this forum and I was wondering if someone could post details on getting recon with cc applications. I have seen that there are back door numbers to call, but are these people expecting declined applicants to call and plead their case? What do you say or not say? I was recently declined by BOA and Juniper for high utilization and wanted to see if they would reconsider. Any help would be appreciated!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DI
Super Contributor

Re: How do you ask for recon?

I direct the analyst to the  good things that's on my credit report when I have to do a recon.  I discuss my high FICO scores and do a PR spin on the whole situation. 
Message 2 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

leetaig wrote:
I am fairly new to this forum and I was wondering if someone could post details on getting recon with cc applications. I have seen that there are back door numbers to call, but are these people expecting declined applicants to call and plead their case? What do you say or not say? I was recently declined by BOA and Juniper for high utilization and wanted to see if they would reconsider. Any help would be appreciated!

Issuers are not really expecting you to call if you are declined and most applicants do not recon. However it did cost you a hard INQ to make the application and it is my opinion all declined credit app's should be recon'ed. In your case the reason for your denial may be valid and that may make a favorable outcome less likely, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least give it a try!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. I was declined because of high utilization i think. It is a valid point because I used the majority of a $5500 line with discover and $11000 with chase on my recent wedding. I guess that is a huge problem these days, but I still think I'm a good person Smiley Happy .... I guess even though they have a valid point it doesn't hurt to try, like you said I already wasted the inquiry.
Message 4 of 7
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That makes sense. I was declined because of high utilization i think. It is a valid point because I used the majority of a $5500 line with discover and $11000 with chase on my recent wedding. I guess that is a huge problem these days, but I still think I'm a good person Smiley Happy .... I guess even though they have a valid point it doesn't hurt to try, like you said I already wasted the inquiry.

Because they have a valid point, recon may not help, but...I agree...it doesn't hurt to ask. I recently made a successful recon with Discover. I called their regular CS number and asked to be connected with their credit department. FYI, some credit departments are only open M-F during regular business hours. Waiting until Monday may be a better time to try.

You could make the point that this was for a wedding, which is a one-time expense. Give them your timeframe for paying it down. Also, ask them to consider starting you with a small credit line until you prove that you can be a valuable customer for them.

And...above all...be nice, nice, nice. In these cases, many of these folks have some personal wiggle room on whether or not to approve you. Be honest. Take responsibility for your financial actions. And...did I mention?...be nice.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will definately give it my best effort with those things in mind. In my defense, I did close the Chase card with the worst util and have paid down since the wedding 6 months ago. The chase and discover are joint cards too, maybe i could make that point as well. I actually accepted a pre approved offer from juniper about a year ago but closed the account because the intial cl was $1500. Maybe I'll throw that in too.

The Bofa app I want to recon seems to not have an inquiry with it. I froze TU and EXP while I get some errors taken away. I don't think they wanted EQ, so therefore declined me. I think that is the actual problem anyway, I was AU on a few accounts with h ulization but they are not mine in any way. I don' think the automatic system knows that though.

Message 6 of 7
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. I will definately give it my best effort with those things in mind. In my defense, I did close the Chase card with the worst util and have paid down since the wedding 6 months ago. The chase and discover are joint cards too, maybe i could make that point as well. I actually accepted a pre approved offer from juniper about a year ago but closed the account because the intial cl was $1500. Maybe I'll throw that in too.

The Bofa app I want to recon seems to not have an inquiry with it. I froze TU and EXP while I get some errors taken away. I don't think they wanted EQ, so therefore declined me. I think that is the actual problem anyway, I was AU on a few accounts with h ulization but they are not mine in any way. I don' think the automatic system knows that though.

Have you called these credit card companies and removed yourself from these cards? It normally doesn't do any good to just dispute them with the credit reporting agencies because the cards will just report again next month. Call the credit card companies directly, and then pull your reports again after you know that the next reporting times have passed. It took me two calls to get AmEx to quit reporting, so it's important to check it out after you've called and given it some time to happen.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.