cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you close a card and ask them to remove the tradelines and inquiries?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: How do you close a card and ask them to remove the tradelines and inquiries?

@Chris679 wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didnt even use one of the cards; the beaver card. So maybe I could get that one removed. Do lenders frown upon closed accounts (assuming they have a 0 balance)

Some suggest that you should have CCs open for a year of positive payment history, though I'm not sure if this looks better under manual review or if there's other reason to do this.

I'd suggest just chopping the cards in half and throwing them in the SD and either close them in a year or let the OCCU close them due to inactivity. 

This.  Just quit using them and let nature take it's course.  Maybe they close them in a year or two, but maybe they don't and down the road you need them.  A closed account on your file looks the same no matter what as long as it is paid as agreed.  You've already taken the hit for the inquires and new accounts you might as well let the account report.  Plus it's more work to close them then to just let them be.

Well if OP is going to have panic attacks over compromised cards I would not suggest leaving accounts open and out there... If you are okay with checking them once a month to make sure they still are not used and all is fine then sure leave them open and building positive history until they possibly close for inactivity BUT if there is any chance that you will put them out of site/out of mind so to speak and ignore things from them and just not check on them then I would not leave them open at all because in 6 months I feel like I am going to read a post about a $10 charge that was now charged off on your account because you knew you didn't use it so you were throwing away mail from them or something... I'm always shocked how often I see something like this.

Message 11 of 13
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: How do you close a card and ask them to remove the tradelines and inquiries?

I hope this does not come off as rude but if you are worried about having panic attacks over a compromised account perhaps you may want to rethink having credit cards all together. any account can be compromised...

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 12 of 13
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

okay so I assume closing to inactivity isnt bad right? I have never even used my beaver card, theres no need for it, should I just stop using the duck and beaver all together and wait for them to close them?

FICO doesn't care if you closed the account or if the lender did.  Some people feel that you closing an account may look better under manual review, but I'm sure if a UW saw a bunch of positive payment history and a closed by lender remark, they'd assume inactivity and not any sort of AA.

CreditAddict made a good point, however.  If you feel closing these CCs would give you more piece of mind, that's worth considering.  It's the only benefit you'd get from closing them them, IMHO. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.