cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you consolidate cards?

tag
soojaded

How do you consolidate cards?

I tried unsuccessfully to get a CLI with Cap 1 through the backdoor number.  The woman told me that my account is very clean and about to go under review.  I explained that I just wanted one card instead of four and requested a substantial increase.  She said to check back in three months.  In the meantime I applied for another Cap 1 card and was approved.  My question is can my initial card and the new card be consolidated?  If so, how is it done?  I haven't activated the new card yet.  Also, if the cards are consolidated will it show on my credit report as a closed account and a new account.  I've had Cap 1 for a year and don't want to start over if I don't have to.  Any advise?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SWISSOATL
Contributor

Re: How do you consolidate cards?

I say call the back door and try again! or even just consolidate maybe 2 in 1 at a time!
EQ N/A
EXP- 692
TU- 673 3/10/08br>
Message 2 of 4
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

You can simply call the front or back door number and ask for your accounts to be combined. They combine your total CLs and total balances into one card. I would recommend combining into your oldest account as to maximize history.

However, you may want to combine into a different card, maybe if you have one with a rewards program you like.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

soojaded wrote:
I tried unsuccessfully to get a CLI with Cap 1 through the backdoor number.  The woman told me that my account is very clean and about to go under review.  I explained that I just wanted one card instead of four and requested a substantial increase.  She said to check back in three months.  In the meantime I applied for another Cap 1 card and was approved.  My question is can my initial card and the new card be consolidated?  If so, how is it done?  I haven't activated the new card yet.  Also, if the cards are consolidated will it show on my credit report as a closed account and a new account.  I've had Cap 1 for a year and don't want to start over if I don't have to.  Any advise?

just call then to consolidate the two cards they will ask you which card you want to keep and they will transfer the cl on the card you want to close to the card you are keeping.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.