Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you do a BT?

tag
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

How do you do a BT?

Mom just got her Citi DC yesterday and there were 2 blank checks with it. Are those for cash advances or is she supposed to fill them out and send to the cards she wants to do a BT with? I've never done one so I'm clueless.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you do a BT?

The blank checks can be used to send as payments to creditors.  However, I tend to use them in the other way -- you can write the check to yourself to deposit the amount you are transferring in your bank account and then you make the payments as normal from your bank account.

Edited to add - I have not done this with Citibank, but have with Capital One and Bank of America (and also have checks I've recently received from PNC and Discover).

Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

When DM was filling out the card application, did she ask for balance transfers to be sent already to the other two cards? If so, then she does not want to also use these checks for the same purpose.

Read the terms and conditions (ALL the terms and conditions) on those blank checks. You want to make sure it says they will be treated as a Balance Transfer, and not a Cash Advance. Most likely they are a balance transfer check, but there are additional fees and perhaps higher interest if they are treated as Cash Advance.

When in doubt, call the customer service reps to clarify whether any balance transfers are already underway.

If you decide to use the checks, then yes you can use them to send to DM cards to pay / transfer balances.

I prefer to do this on-line. On her Citi credit card account page, there should be a submenu to get to Request a Balance Transfer. I find this allows me to specify the bank, card number, and payment address of the bank, and ends up being more convenient than trying to paper-mail something.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I'll check with her to see if she did that during the app. I don't think she did but I can't say for certain. I know I'd prefer to do everything online too. It's just the first time I've seen checks with a card.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
I'll check with her to see if she did that during the app. I don't think she did but I can't say for certain. I know I'd prefer to do everything online too. It's just the first time I've seen checks with a card.

Citi sends checks all the time. Most likely the checks are BT ones and they're easy to tell if they are because they'll have the BT terms attached to them.  They're easy to use if you desire by just depositing them into your bank account.  Most banks will put a 2-3 day hold on them before releasing the funds.  It's pretty much the same as doing it online.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.