cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you feel about NFC and mobile payments?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

How do you feel about NFC and mobile payments?

It seems a new wave of processors are coming (if not already here) our way.

How do you feel about putting your credit cards on these things for payments?  

Personally, I don't see how this is easier or faster than whipping out your card and sliding it.  I actually prefer cards to have built in chip/pin, but that hasn't happend so much in the US. 

Besides, how else am I suppose to show of my It card?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: How do you feel about NFC and mobile payments?

If they could develop a software algorithm whereby you waved your phone and the credit card with the best rewards for that particular purchase was automatically chosen, that would be a worthy value-add.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 10
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

I've been playing with Google Wallet but have found the entire experience to be extremely unreliable, if it works at all. Could just be my phone, but their system definitely has some issues to be worked out.

Message 3 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I actually prefer integrated NFC inside the credit card. Not those tap thing you stick on a phone or mobile payment like Google Wallet.

But before all that, lets get EMV here in US first (even if it is chip and signature at the moment, since our ATM isn't equipped with chip and PIN yet). Let's get rid of magnetic strip.

Message 4 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Bribro, i remember hearing about something like that on this forum. You basically put all your account info into your new account, and you get a card, and it, somehow in the 10 seconds adter swiping, decides which card would give you the best rewards on that purchase.
Message 5 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Bribro, i remember hearing about something like that on this forum. You basically put all your account info into your new account, and you get a card, and it, somehow in the 10 seconds adter swiping, decides which card would give you the best rewards on that purchase.

You mean Wallby card. That card charges $50 AF, making it quite useless.

Message 6 of 10
squirrely2005
Contributor

I don't care for it. It's so much easier to just swipe a card. Simplicity is what it's all about.

Message 7 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

You mean Wallby card. That card charges $50 AF, making it quite useless.

I did not know it had an AF...thats BS haha. 

I didn't even know it had been released yet. 

Message 8 of 10
firesoul453
Contributor

@bribro wrote:

If they could develop a software algorithm whereby you waved your phone and the credit card with the best rewards for that particular purchase was automatically chosen, that would be a worthy value-add.

That might have to be my next android project!

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 9 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@squirrely2005 wrote:

I don't care for it. It's so much easier to just swipe a card. Simplicity is what it's all about.

If you ever spent some time outside the USA, especially Western Europe, you wouldn't say that.  Swipe transactions are the most awful, time-consuming headache immaginable.  Simplicity is a fast and universal solution.  USA needs EMV.   After that, NFC for small purchases would be a neat add-on.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.