Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get a DIscover CLI?

tag
sosabe77
Contributor

Re: How do you get a DIscover CLI?

Every time that I've gotten a CLI from Discover, I have used the secure chat from within the account area.  Just open up a chat and ask them if it is possible if you can get a CLI without a hard pull.  The system will let them know if that is possible after they collect some info from you (income/rent/mortgage, etc.).

I have never been able to use the love button and the automated phone system has never given me the CLI option without speaking to rep.  But I've gotten 4 CLIs from them through chat without a hard pull.  2 of them for +$1500.  Sometimes they will say they need to do a hard pull.  Just decline and come back a few months later and try again.

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I just got one today, though it was a TU HP to 1000.

I think one of the things that was really different about this time is that I had a 0 balance on the card and some of my newer CC accounts have reached the 6 month mark and that I had an actual human being look at my CR instead of having the computer try to decide for them. All the other times I had tried to request one, I had some kind of balance on the card (usually around 130-150 dollars) since I had that 0 intro APR offer and it was always a SP on TU and also the fact that my account was still kinda relatively new to them which is what I was getting denied for a lot of the time by the system. Considering that I couldn't get anything at all from Discover, I'm actually kinda okay with what they gave me considering that I have a lot of credit already that I haven't gotten anywhere close to using that much of relatively.

I think what Discover (in my case) really likes is regular usage and low balances at the time of applying for a CLI though I've commonly heard that sometimes they give CLIs to people who have balances on their card. I also think that they kinda want to be the mainstay in your wallet so if you have plenty of other cards with other lenders that they're not gonna be as generous in contrast to someone who just has like one or two other cards or something. I also do have a Discover checking account but I really don't think that had too much to do with it.

"Congrats! Thanks for sharing" Smiley LOL

Fixed

Nice.

The low balances thing is debatable, the wife's Discover started out at $6,000 and saw a $1,200 increase at 70% UTL (0% Promo period), and then another $1,300 increase at 40% UTL (Balance transfer at 0%), and two other $1,000 CLI's at 20% UTL, lastly another $500 with the latest at 30% UTL due to another 0% promo period.

Message 22 of 42
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

I think one of the things that was really different about this time is that I had a 0 balance on the card and some of my newer CC accounts have reached the 6 month mark and that I had an actual human being look at my CR instead of having the computer try to decide for them. All the other times I had tried to request one, I had some kind of balance on the card (usually around 130-150 dollars) since I had that 0 intro APR offer and it was always a SP on TU and also the fact that my account was still kinda relatively new to them which is what I was getting denied for a lot of the time by the system. Considering that I couldn't get anything at all from Discover, I'm actually kinda okay with what they gave me considering that I have a lot of credit already that I haven't gotten anywhere close to using that much of relatively.

I think what Discover (in my case) really likes is regular usage and low balances at the time of applying for a CLI though I've commonly heard that sometimes they give CLIs to people who have balances on their card. I also think that they kinda want to be the mainstay in your wallet so if you have plenty of other cards with other lenders that they're not gonna be as generous in contrast to someone who just has like one or two other cards or something. I also do have a Discover checking account but I really don't think that had too much to do with it.

"Congrats! Thanks for sharing"

Lol. Coincidentally I think I got that response on the thread I made about this. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 23 of 42
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

"Congrats! Thanks for sharing" Smiley LOL

Fixed

Nice.

The low balances thing is debatable, the wife's Discover started out at $6,000 and saw a $1,200 increase at 70% UTL (0% Promo period), and then another $1,300 increase at 40% UTL (Balance transfer at 0%), and two other $1,000 CLI's at 20% UTL, lastly another $500 with the latest at 30% UTL due to another 0% promo period.

Hmmmmm. Interesting. I'm just trying to figure out my strategy as to how I can pull off a second CLI with Discover if possible. I honestly think BoA is the one I'm really interested in trying in the next few months along with one last Amex CLI. I heard they can be quite generous with CLIs and lots of people seem to have had luck with Barclays after the sixth statement with them. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 24 of 42
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Tried a shot in the dark to see if I could get a CLI with Discover just now. No dice. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 25 of 42
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Involver wrote:

You use the card heavily.

Your score increases significantly.

After seven months you ask for a CLI.  They HP you.

They give you $500.

You sock drawer the card forever.

This, All the way.

They seem to require HP during the first year, but you can get SP CLI after that. It worked that way for me (moderate increases each time: $1000 HP, $2000 HP, $1000 SP phone, $1500 SP online)

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 26 of 42
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

I make it a point to phone in for a SP increase every month. CLIs usually come around about once every 4 months (my most recent was a 1.5k CLI last week).

Discover probably cares little about the fact I've had their card the longest (6+ years) but just wants to be my primary spender all the time.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 27 of 42
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I got one after 6 months of inactivity, transferring a balance of about 40% of the limit.
Message 28 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover has always been good to me. I rarely use the card and randomly asked for a CLI yesterday. Got 4,900 with a SP. Total limit now 14,900. I'm happy.

Message 29 of 42
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
  • Do you allow your statement to close with a balance? ....yes
  • Do you close some of your other cards with higher limits?......no
  • Do you put massive amounts of spend on It?.........no
  • Do you max out your other cards and request a balance transfer?......no
  • Do you do all of the above and then watch in disbelief as someone with a thinner file than you gets a higher limit?.....lol..yes

For me the only thing that worked was time & persistence  with the luv button as I was only looking at SP CLIs from Discover. After 15 months the CLI kept coming 2,5K - 5K - 7,5K - 10K ..so basically went from 2,5K in Feb to 10K in 8 months and before all denials. My card just turned 2 years and now I do not need to CLI anymore 😃

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.