Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you guys do this?

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Re: How do you guys do this?

Never tried it with AMEX but I go with this.

“Hi, (Reps name). I am going through all my cards and weeding out the ones I don’t use or don’t use often and I came across your card. I like the card but I am at a loss to find a reason to use it or even keep it. Can you tell me my current rates and benefits for this card?”

I let them tell me the perks and then I go with

“Hmm…not really better than my other cards. Are there any new benefits I can have added? Or is there any special offers or incentives to use the card? I hate to close it but if I cannot find a use for it then I might have too.”

Sometimes it works depending on the quality of the rep on the line.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 11 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ask if there are retention offers available.
Message 12 of 13
driftless
Valued Contributor

My PRG is coming up on its one year anniversary and I just chatted with a CSR who told me to call 855-857-7657.  I was offered 7,500 MR, 2,500 now and 5,000 after 3 months, for an additional $1,000.00 which I just fulfilled with an iPad order for my wife.  

Post-Script:  I did not suggest that I was going to cancel my card, I just asked about a retention offer.  My one year anniversary is actually in July.  

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.