Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you keep all of your CC's open?

tag
tvandine
Contributor

How do you keep all of your CC's open?

So after a certain amount of time, i suppose a creditor will close your account for inavtice use... I'm not talking about VISA cards and Mastercards, i'm talking about store cards, i myself can use all of my major cards, and do pretty well! But, what about store cards? What are the limit of time you go without using it before you jump back in and use it? I have over 30 cards, keeping up with those monthly not only would kill me financially, but is just to big of a pain in the butt. So, how often do you use your store cards? Have you had any closed for inactivity?

Mainly referring to @CreditAddict and @Ron1!! Let me know!!

You don't even want to know how many cards i've got....

Credit Started May 31st, 2014 EQ:710|EX:712|TU:732 FICO:726
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: How do you keep all of your CC's open?

Regardless of whether the card is credit or store you have to verify with each creditor to determine their policy regading closure due to inactivity.  Don't rely on generalization or polling.

@tvandine wrote:

I have over 30 cards, keeping up with those monthly not only would kill me financially, but is just to big of a pain in the butt. 

You have to sort out what works for you.  If you can't manage over 30 cards then you might want to consider trimming down to a number that you can manage.  Or just accept that some will be closed if you can't keep them sufficiently active.

Message 2 of 8
Chris679
Established Contributor

I prefer to let nature take its course. If they close it then you probably didn't need it. I have had one card close itself, Walmart after 2+ yrs of inactivity. They did CLD two months in a row and closed it the next month. If I had been paying attention I could have kept it open but I wasn't so I guess I didn't need it anymore.
Message 3 of 8
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Going by your signature I hope you didn't obtain all 30 cards in five months (May 2014). Perhaps you can pick a couple of store cards a month, buy something cheap and PIF before leaving the store. 

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't buy too much at Best Buy but want to make sure my card stays open just because of the great financing. I use it every six months to buy a water filter for my refrigerator.

Message 5 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

@tvandine wrote:

So after a certain amount of time, i suppose a creditor will close your account for inavtice use... I'm not talking about VISA cards and Mastercards, i'm talking about store cards, i myself can use all of my major cards, and do pretty well! But, what about store cards? What are the limit of time you go without using it before you jump back in and use it? I have over 30 cards, keeping up with those monthly not only would kill me financially, but is just to big of a pain in the butt. So, how often do you use your store cards? Have you had any closed for inactivity?

@Mainly referring to @Creditaddict and @Ron1!! Let me know!!

Ok I  will say what I do. Specially for store cards. Things we all need. Example socks and underware. Every 4 months. I order a 3 pack of briefs on 1 card. Other card. Tee shirts.  Other card socks. They all got activity. So no problem. Wally. I buy case of water. And take 60 cash out. And so on. 

Message 6 of 8
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

Yikes- NEVER take cash out with a credit card. You'll immediately get hit at the cash advance APR rate- usually 24% or so.
CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 7 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

@jon22guitar wrote:
Yikes- NEVER take cash out with a credit card. You'll immediately get hit at the cash advance APR rate- usually 24% or so.

Smiley LOL  good one. We all know that. But read my post carefully. I said from Wally. Walmart.  There is no cash advance charge. Period. For walmart. It's a purchase.  Also for the discover it card. Cash over purchase. To keep active. Not one dime in interest. We are talking of store cards. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.