cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you keep track of your CC receipts?

tag
heicos40t5

Re: How do you keep track of your CC receipts?

I only keep merchandise receipts. Most of my CC expenses are dining, entertainment, etc..I dont even bother picking them up from the table, bar, etc. But when I do purchase merchandise, I normally keep the receipts for obvious reasons of return, warranty, etc. I am not a very organized guy so I keep it simple, envelope in my glove box of my car for all auto services, parts, etc. For bigger home purchases such as TV's, computers, appliances, etc - I normally tape the receipts underneath the item. For smaller, or more important items, I have a file labeled "Receipts" in my filing cabinet.

Message 11 of 59
Brusilov
Established Contributor

The only receipts I keep are for big purchases and I usually only retain them for maybe 30-60 days just to make sure the item isn't defective/etc.  Past that you usually have to return to the manufacturer anyway so they're not that helpful to keep (at least for electronics type stuff).

Other than that I use Mint.com and pretty regularly review posted transactions there or on my CU site.  I shred all my other receipts.

Message 12 of 59
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I have maybe 4 or 5 envelopes labeled Dining, Shopping, Bar Tabs, Starbucks, etc. along with the current month on it. I double check my statement with the receipts at the end of the month and then toss 'em.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 13 of 59
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I just shove them all in an envelope but I really want that Neat receipt scanner. Just don't wanna spend the $300 on it. Haha.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 14 of 59
laz98
Senior Contributor

I don't keep mine.  I'm terrible about that.  I sure wish I had kept my Fossil one, because I couldn't get my darn watch fixed yesterday without it.  Usually I pile them up throughout the week, & then toss them when it's trash day, just checking to make sure there's nothing important in there.  But mostly I don't see the value in keeping any of them, so I don't.

Message 15 of 59
namvet
Established Contributor

Been doing this for years.  I keep all of my receipts cash or credit cards.  At the end of the day all receipts go into a envelope. Those receipts have saved me a lot of research time.  I keep them for as about as long as the IRS requires that tax returns be kept.  If i choose to go from old school to new school anytime in the near future i will go with neat (maybe).   The problem with management of receipts is it's a Daily routine not a monthly thing. Do it every day and No problem.  Sort of like how you handle your finances with your business.

Message 16 of 59
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I can't stand paper all over the place.  If I really have to, I keep large appliance-type receipts with their instructions in a filng cabinet.  I also have a large brown "folder" that has each month of the year in it separated as well (it comes like this).  Places like Macy's can e-mail your receipt.  Most of my receipts do not need to be saved though (grocery, small purchases, etc.).  My good friend has the receipt scanner and LOVES it.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 59
john398
Senior Contributor

I think the trend will be merchants emailing reciepts, Apple does that and so does Micro Center I belive and also my work cafe (Note no tips here ) now has gone paperless and scans cards with an iPad and you can get your receipt emailed

Message 18 of 59
Open123
Super Contributor

I have them all imaged, dated, and filed under the merchant names on an external hard drive.

Message 19 of 59
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

I have them all imaged, dated, and filed under the merchant names on an external hard drive.

Do you do this for your personal expenses or just your business ones?

I guess I'm a slacker: I don't see any point to keeping my personal ones unless it's something I can deduct (which is few and far between for me these days).

        
Message 20 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.