cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you keep track of your CC receipts?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

How do you keep track of your CC receipts?

It's been so long since I had CCs that this was not an issue until recently. Now that I have more than one CC that I'm using, I'm trying to figure out the best way of keeping track of / filing my credit card receipts. (Not the statements -- all of the different store receipts)

I was going to staple all of the receipts to the matching CC statement. But then I thought, what if I need to find a receipt for a store... I won't know *which* credit card I used and it will be harder to find the receipt that way.

I'd love to hear what others are doing and how you "file" your receipts. Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do you keep track of your CC receipts?

I'm not that organized... I toss them. I do save the work ones in a special part of my wallet cause I have to turn them in for reimbursements. There's no way I'm keeping CC receipts LOL I can't even balance my checkbook... i rely on the apps to tell me my balance. However i'm very good at saving money and doing my household budget.... Go figure.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 59
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I've always wondered how well the neat desk organizer worked... I could see value in using that at home to control my paper flood!

FICO 9:

Message 3 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a very simple method but it helps me keep track of receipts for my cards. I use large binder clips that I labeled Freedom, BCE, etc. and everytime I come home I just clip the receipts for the day to the right one. Doing so keeps them in order as well. Each month when the statement cuts, I double check the receipts and then shred them. That way if I need to return something during the month the receipts are all there. For large purchases where I might need to file a claim down the road (e.g. laptop) I keep the receipt inside the box that came with it in my storage closet. Maybe not the flashiest way to do things but it works well for me!

Message 4 of 59
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I keep my receipts needed for taxes in a brown manilla folder labeled TAX 2011.

FICO 9:

Message 5 of 59
Quips
Regular Contributor

I save my reciepts and check them against the CC statements online - when they post, I throw the receipts away - unless I need them for tax or warranty purposes, then I have envelopes for both.

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 6 of 59
HikingFICOMountain
New Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I've always wondered how well the neat desk organizer worked... I could see value in using that at home to control my paper flood!

I thought about that too. I want to be as paperless as possible.

~Four steps to achievement: Plan purposefully. Prepare prayerfully. Proceed positively. Pursue persistently~
Message 7 of 59
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@HikingFICOMountain wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

I'm terrible, I keep nothing! I shop at places that can find the receipt by swiping my credit card (Most Department Stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, etc. etc.)

Otherwise, just transactions into Quicken.

Now NeatReceipt (AMAZING!) They also offer (4) 0% Payments billed monthly to the credit card of your choice, Pay Shipping to get it sent, 30 days to review, then 4 payments.

Once I figured out scan in the highest quality possible and to scan directly into a PDF, then you can just move settings to be double sided or single sided.  I created Folders, and you can do it as you scan too if you find you want something else.... I don't worry so much about the folders, I make sure that I save it with the best and sometimes longest file name because it will pop up as I start to search vs actually going into the folder and finding.

for example my stolen credit card:

Macy's American Express Fraud Jan. 2012

Macy's American Express Fraud Form

Macy's American Express Fraud Additional Info

Macy's American Express Fraud old Card

you get the idea!!!

Oh and scanning your credit card front and back has never been easier!! which is great especially if you have tons of cards or you do have fraud, then you can keep old and new numbers etc.

I scan a credit card statement when I open account and the credit card then I destory each addtional statement unless a change has accured on the account.

and if you get the big daddy Neat Receipt, if it's scanning many pages, it scans in seconds and then will just work in background putting it into that PDF, you can continue to scan and scan and it will just work in the background in order and not slow you down at all. and it has the scan on top and bottom, so it doesn't scan then pull back and scan other side or anything, it's one scan real fast!!

Message 8 of 59
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@HikingFICOMountain wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

I'm terrible, I keep nothing! I shop at places that can find the receipt by swiping my credit card (Most Department Stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, etc. etc.)

Otherwise, just transactions into Quicken.

Now NeatReceipt (AMAZING!) They also offer (4) 0% Payments billed monthly to the credit card of your choice, Pay Shipping to get it sent, 30 days to review, then 4 payments.

Once I figured out scan in the highest quality possible and to scan directly into a PDF, then you can just move settings to be double sided or single sided.  I created Folders, and you can do it as you scan too if you find you want something else.... I don't worry so much about the folders, I make sure that I save it with the best and sometimes longest file name because it will pop up as I start to search vs actually going into the folder and finding.

for example my stolen credit card:

Macy's American Express Fraud Jan. 2012

Macy's American Express Fraud Form

Macy's American Express Fraud Additional Info

Macy's American Express Fraud old Card

you get the idea!!!

Oh and scanning your credit card front and back has never been easier!! which is great especially if you have tons of cards or you do have fraud, then you can keep old and new numbers etc.

I scan a credit card statement when I open account and the credit card then I destory each addtional statement unless a change has accured on the account.

and if you get the big daddy Neat Receipt, if it's scanning many pages, it scans in seconds and then will just work in background putting it into that PDF, you can continue to scan and scan and it will just work in the background in order and not slow you down at all. and it has the scan on top and bottom, so it doesn't scan then pull back and scan other side or anything, it's one scan real fast!!

Wow I like the sound of that... would be great for my tax forms and tax receipts... Also keeping track of important paperwork that comes in.   Right now I just have a dedicated basket that important stuff goes in.

FICO 9:

Message 9 of 59
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It is a great thing for the paper haters!!!

Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.