cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you keep track of your CC receipts?

tag
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: How do you keep track of your CC receipts?

Forgot to mention another neat feature of the CamScanner -you can actually fax any of the .pdfs you create right from your phone.  They do charge for the faxing feature - I think it's $.99 per page or you can purchase 10 fax pages for $8.99.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 31 of 59
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I guess I'll just ask it straight out: how many of you dedicated receipt savers actually need the receipts at any point post purchase?

Luckily never, but I keep mine just because you never know. If I go and buy something and then look at the statement and they charged me an extra $100, I want to have proof that the charge was false. Also, if my house gets broken into and my stuff gets stolen, I want to have reciepts to give the ins just in case I need them. That's why I keep them for a year. The only ones I keep for longer than that are for big purchases like furniture, TV's, computers, etc.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 32 of 59
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I have a unique way of doing this which most people would probably be too lazy to do.

I use to save all my receipts and forget to throw them away, ended up blowing up my file folders and closet with boxes everywhere, I am a clean freak so that didn't work for me. Now I have bought a small photo scanner (seems to work perfect for receipts.) I scan them and they go onto a memory card located in the scanner., then when they clear online, I shred them. Every few days I then pull out the memory card out of the scanner and put all the scanned reciepts (photos) onto my computer, then to my external HD. I have folders on my external HD labeled by year, then month. I then (yes manually) edit the file name of each receipt, the name of the merchant and the date. Then later I am able to search through my receipts by using the Windows search on my computer to find the receipt by file name. This method has seemed to work for me, sounds complicated but with just a little time this works well. This pretty much the same thing the neat desk does without spending $300.

I heard the IRS also excepts a digital copy of the receipt incase an audit were ever to occur which makes keeping a digital copy much better than saving all the receipts.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 33 of 59
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Expensify works great.   I like it because it imports my account info from all of my accounts (checking and credit card) and it allows you to scan receipts from their phone app or you can scan it and upload online then attach it to a specific transaction.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 34 of 59
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I dont keep any receipts Smiley Sad

I should tho...thinking about that neat product

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 35 of 59
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I'm not that organized... I toss them. I do save the work ones in a special part of my wallet cause I have to turn them in for reimbursements. There's no way I'm keeping CC receipts LOL I can't even balance my checkbook... i rely on the apps to tell me my balance. However i'm very good at saving money and doing my household budget.... Go figure.

Lol.

Hell, at one time I even tossed work ones. about 25 years ago I even went to Europe for two weeks on biz. The company's TA prepaid the bulk, airlines and hotels. But all the other stuff I put on credit cards and never bothered to file for reimbursement for the misc. expenses and that included a short hotel stay which wasn't planned.

Back then I not only would toss charge slips but I would prepay months in advance, not even open my bills until a "red" one came which meant I was now behind, then I'd open it, send a check for the balance plus enough for roughly a few more months, rinse and repeat.

I was a workaholic, had an excess of income relative to expenses, and damned near anything that interfered with my work (engr. design doable at both home and work) was put off as long as possible. Back then I had zero idea of what credit reports were or had in them. Just didn't give a hoot. And no AA (outside of Amex which I was cool with as the AF seemed ridiculous). Though after I stopped using them in favor of my check card (automatically came out of my checking) they didn't renew the cards and after 3 or 4 years I had no CCs.

After increased difficulty renting cars with a debit card, I decided to look into credit and browsed the various CC sites. That's when I realized what CRs were and pulled mine. Several baddies from moving but not all the utilities were properly notified to stop service(DSL etc). Also a tax lien filed and paid the next week from general flakiness.

Not a chance in hell of getting a regular CC but I had inadvertantly opened up a 1k OD CL when I started a checking account at Union Bank which had started reporting a few months earlier. The only other CL was one closed for lack of use 6 years earlier. At least it was a positive and helped with AAoA.

First card I apped for in rebuilding was a 10k WF and the second, a few months later, 25k Citi, both secured.

Now they are unsecured and I also have excellent credit and several new CCs.

I've also changed my habits. I now logon and check charges every week. I've set up autopay on everything. I still toss receipts but only after they age a few weeks and have shown up online. Part of the increased scrutiny is fear of ID theft. In a sense, because of my crappy credit, I was immune from the most pernicious ID theft, opening new accounts in your name. Now is would be much easier so I monitor my CRs.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 36 of 59
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I keep them, generally crammed in my wallet, until the charge posts online. Then they're history.

Probably not bullet-proof, but it's worked so far.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 37 of 59
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

Forgot to mention another neat feature of the CamScanner -you can actually fax any of the .pdfs you create right from your phone.  They do charge for the faxing feature - I think it's $.99 per page or you can purchase 10 fax pages for $8.99.

@Never heard of it but will check it out. I don't have a fax or landline, so I always use faxzero.com to fax from home. I personally discard receipts but keep major purchases or anything important in a $5 plastic coupon holder @ http://www.amazon.com/C-Line-Biodegradable-13-Pocket-Expanding-48410/dp/B002UKOKHM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF... It works out well for me.

Message 38 of 59
pakman92
Established Contributor

i toss them.  its probably not the best thing.  but i've got other things to worry about.  i just review the monthly statements to make sure there is nothing unusuall.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 39 of 59
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I happened to find a receipt organizer on sale at Office Depot for 7 bucks so I'm going to try that out since it has different compartments. Maybe that will help me to be more organized. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.