Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you "burn" a card?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

How do you "burn" a card?

I see people always saying how they've "burned" with a bank? What exactly does that mean and how do you do it? I can only use but so many context clues lol
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you "burn" a card?

@icyhot wrote:
I see people always saying how they've "burned" with a bank? What exactly does that mean and how do you do it? I can only use but so many context clues lol

Don't pay them and the account goes into collections and its eventually charged off.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It means they did not pay back the money they spent on their cards. Charge off, Bankruptcy etc.

Message 3 of 7
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Basically run a balance that was never paid i guess. Also included them in a bankruptcy?

Dunno but don't want it happening here. Takes too long for some to get back in again.

Message 4 of 7
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Oh ok. I was thinking it was any kind of adverse action
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Owe them money on an account and not pay, whether through a BK or just non payment that goes to charge off or collections. Often a reason a bank will not give you future credit, even if your profile is clean years down the road. Some banks remember these kinds of things for a very long time, well past the time any negatives on your credit report fall off. Sometimes even if the debt is eventually repaid it can cause a given bank to be very cautious with extending credit even if others have no issues.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
Oh ok. I was thinking it was any kind of adverse action

Adverse action usually refers to a lender doing something negative with your current accounts, reducing credit lines or closing the account completely for example.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.