Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you think I have done thus far?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you think I have done thus far?

Every card in my signature post Quicksilver I have added in the last few months.  My scores have all increased 100 points in the last year, and 40-60 in the last few months. Even with a 120 day late student loan error on my reports. I did end up doubling my care credit limit, and tripling my quicksilvers as well.

I had remorse on Amazon until I realized its consistent usefulness. And that it has been easy to grow.

I do have remorse with Sams. After I found out DoubleCash is the card to use there. I hope to get converted in the next year or two! But then I have a inner struggle on earning rewards or showing use on the PLCC!  I can live with the yearly payout for rewards. That doesn't bother me. I will hang on to this one.

Credit one also has grown from 500. I am closing it in March before the April AF hits.  Buckle has also grown from 500 very slowly.  Lenovo was really my only single trigger happy app where I probably should have not. Luckily it was a soft pull and it will get used on cyber monday for a thinkpad and docking station.

Total credit lines in May around 13k, now they are around 70k.  Got an APR reduction on the delta gold down to 12.74% and I bet I can get it lower soon too.

My only denials this year have been Sams Club MC (same time as app for PLCC), Chase Hyatt, and then NASA when they AAd me, also Amex 3xcli denied. Also Citi DC SP CLI denied.

It was nice getting 5k right away with my first Amex card, the ED (0 for 15 then 17%) And that they kept saying yes to me for two more cards.

The one thing I will never understand is BOA. How they denied me for the Amtrak and BBR.  Yet approved me on the Amtrak with a Joint app, with the same person I am an AU of, that has scores of 800 and never carries a balance. Next Septermber I am using 1 HP to split the account and request a CLI and APR reduction as well since they gave me their highest apr of 22.99! And try to grab a BBR or two in the next two years.

Part of me really wants to make a few quick decisions.  Take a HP form commerce bank, and if they dont approve me for a larger limit card to combine with, then just close it.  Seen quite a few folks here get instant approvals for 9k+ with scores less than mine.  All of my accounts are either a few months old, or are from April of 2014. My oldest is Care Credit april of 2013. I don't think closing a few will hurt my utilization at all and I will be just fine. And if cap1 doesnt get me a small increase by December I think I may close them too (24.9% APR).

I am also glad to have a setup at a local credit union. 2.9% for 12 months, then it goes to 7.9%. Can move funds between checking and credit for no fee.

So yeah. It feels pretty good to come into holiday season. Seasoned with coupons, ripe for the pickin, and have some flexibility to earn some points on shopping. But not have to go in to debt by buying things I cannot afford!

Thanks for y'alls advice thus far. It has been pretty good! I like the different view points. The folks that encourage, the folks that try to pull people away. It is so balanced here and friendly!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: How do you think I have done thus far?

Looks like you are doing fine. Deciding which cards you want takes time, and it's best not to jump too soon either to app or to close.

Regarding the Citi TY Preferred, what is your response when you use the Citi prequalification? The offer I get is the 25k points for TY Preferred, not just 20k,so keeping that in my back pocket as a motivator that they recognize my score improvements.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Looks like you are doing fine. Deciding which cards you want takes time, and it's best not to jump too soon either to app or to close.

Regarding the Citi TY Preferred, what is your response when you use the Citi prequalification? The offer I get is the 25k points for TY Preferred, not just 20k,so keeping that in my back pocket as a motivator that they recognize my score improvements.

U mean the Premier? Citi prequal brings up nothing. Been that way for a while. But yes you are right it is good to check. And they are weird too. I find the more often I check online the more mail offers I get, and the longer you wait the longer the no interest and/or lower APR.  I wouldn't be able to keep the prg AND a Prestige. But a premier I could totally handle once citi CLIs me and gets a better feel for me.

I don't think closing my quicksilver would make a difference for the future or present. If cap1 every finally releases this new game changer they have mentioned twice now, then maybe next year when 3 of my 6 inquiries from them fall off, I MIGHT app for a quicksilver at 15% apr or lower along with the new one. But probably not!!!

Message 3 of 5
Country_Feller
Valued Contributor

Doing great!!!!
myFICO=EQ 702, TU 716, EX 743br>EQ=11//TU=15//EX=11/Util 14%. Gardening since 01/02/2017.

Message 4 of 5
12njoy
Super Contributor

I would say you're doing great with the additions, but more importantly, you're thinking strategically about apps and cards.  That is the biggest improvement when continuing the credit journey IMO.  May you continue to ride the wave of success.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.