cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you track where to spend for rewards every quarter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you track where to spend for rewards every quarter?

The maximums throw me off.  Next quarter, I can put restaurants and Costco on husband's Freedom up to $1500 (which will take about 3 weeks), then on my freedom up to $1500, then I need to switch to BOA for the next $2500.  Not sure where to put restaurants then.  My first $1500 of Amazon will go on Discover, then I guess switch back to Amazon Store.  I spend about $600/week at Costco (plus restaurants) and about $1k/mo on Amazon.

How do you keep track of when you hit these maximums and need to switch?  My head is spinning.  Last (this) quarter, I just ignored the maximums and used Discover for all restaurants and Chase for all grocery.  It will matter more this next quarter, because I will definitely hit maximums early.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you track where to spend for rewards every quarter?

I'm not sure about the others, aside from setting up a spreadsheet and recording everything, but the Ultimate Rewards site for the Freedom has a tracker (under the 5% cash back categories - Current Quarter section on the right side), which shows you how much of the cap you've spent already, right?

Message 2 of 13
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

You raised some good ideas here,, I will have to be more attentive on my spends,, can't wait to see some follow up so I can also learn from it... I got a bad habit of just using my BCP & DC for all...

Message 3 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The maximums throw me off.  Next quarter, I can put restaurants and Costco on husband's Freedom up to $1500 (which will take about 3 weeks), then on my freedom up to $1500, then I need to switch to BOA for the next $2500.  Not sure where to put restaurants then.  My first $1500 of Amazon will go on Discover, then I guess switch back to Amazon Store.  I spend about $600/week at Costco (plus restaurants) and about $1k/mo on Amazon.

How do you keep track of when you hit these maximums and need to switch?  My head is spinning.  Last (this) quarter, I just ignored the maximums and used Discover for all restaurants and Chase for all grocery.  It will matter more this next quarter, because I will definitely hit maximums early.

Your question is the reason I don't even think about that stuff; I don't have enough extra brain cells to waste on worrying about where and how the banks want me to shop.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You can use a spreadsheet. For me, it's not necessary, because I don't spend enough to approach the caps. I also think at the end of the day, it's not important enough to me to micromanage it. If I forget to use the "right" card for a transaction, chances are we are talking about a small difference in rewards. Things add up, but you shouldn't drive yourself crazy over it either. Even if you are getting 1% back you are doing better than many people who just use debit for everything.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can understand both perspectives on this.  One, wanting to maximize rewards which is part of the reason for getting reward-specific cards to begin with and Two, not worrying about the minor "loss" in not maximizing rewards and putting something on the "wrong" card.  It all comes down to the individual as to what is more important.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I can understand both perspectives on this.  One, wanting to maximize rewards which is part of the reason for getting reward-specific cards to begin with and Two, not worrying about the minor "loss" in not maximizing rewards and putting something on the "wrong" card.  It all comes down to the individual as to what is more important.

+1

Well said.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the beginning, I was overwhelmed too. Then I started to track our spend using the monthly budget note's section.

For example:
Sallie Mae = groceries & gas (cap $250 each)
BoA = remaining groceries & gas (once SM caps are met); now wholesale clubs (before we used DC)
DC = HH bills*
BlisPay = any unexpected emergencies over $199 (so I don't have to use emergency fund, before used DC)
Entertainment & dining out = right now IT; after quarter is over Marvel or AARP

It will become second nature due to it's repetitiveness.

*If we have one, I use this category to meet spend goals.

Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Depending on how you spend, there can be some useful tricks.  So for example my daughter buys $250 grocery store gift cards (usually WF) at the beginning of the month, and uses it till it is used up.  Then she switches to her next best grocery card if it takes less a month

Message 9 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm a spreadsheet user, but do not really track the rewards all that much. Usually, I have the reward focus going through 1 or 2 cards at a time only, so it seems like it isn't that difficult in my situation.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.