cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use a rewards visa debit card to pay credit card debt?

tag
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

How do you use a rewards visa debit card to pay credit card debt?

I have a Visa AT&T rewards Debit card that I received for joining u-verse.

I would like to use it to pay my Chase credit card debt down, but it seems that Chase only lets you do it from a checking acct.

Has anyone else tried to pay a credit card debt with a rewards debit card? Any success?

Should I go to a Chase bank and see if they would do it??

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: How do you use a rewards visa debit card to pay credit card debt?

Does your rewards debit card have a pin? If it does u can use it to buy a money order, and then cash it.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ilzhoefer wrote:

I have a Visa AT&T rewards Debit card that I received for joining u-verse.

I would like to use it to pay my Chase credit card debt down, but it seems that Chase only lets you do it from a checking acct.

Has anyone else tried to pay a credit card debt with a rewards debit card? Any success?

Should I go to a Chase bank and see if they would do it??

Thanks!

If possible in your area:

1) Get a Bluebird card from Amex/Walmart

2) Go to Walmart and load it wih debit card, or, buy a vanilla reload with your debit card (cost $3,95 for up to $500, so depends on your rewards) and load on the internet

3) Get Bluebird to pay chase (from Bluebird website)

Message 3 of 7
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

If it doesn't have a pin I could still buy a money order right?

Message 4 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

U can't buy a money order with it if it doesn't have a pin. Money orders have to be bought using cash or debit transactions.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 7
ilzhoefer
Frequent Contributor

Anyone else have suggestions/thoughts??

Message 6 of 7
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

You can try cashing out the Visa prepaid gift card at a bank branch (YMMV), or do the Amazon Payments trick.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.