Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use your cards?

tag
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

How do you use your cards?

I know people SD cards, but I rotate mine. I just used Double Cash and Freedom, now I'm using Easy Rewards and IT. BCE and TJX Rewards MC will be next. So what do you guys do?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you use your cards?

I use the ones with the highest rewards all the time and use the Wallaby app to help me figure out which where. I only SD 2 QS1 that only give me 1.5% cash back and have them set up to automatically pay small stuff like gym dues and Netflix. 

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use the card that will get me the best rewards for the purchase, 95% of the time. The rest of the time I will charge something on a card to to show activity.

Message 3 of 21
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I like the rotational aspect, after I get done with min spend. QS1 is sorta sock drawered, while I show US Airways some love (1.5 miles until June 30th). I am now using BCE for groceries, Amazon for gas stations, amazon, SimplyCash for business, 3% dining, Freedom for dining this quarter, and both Freedom + BCE for big purchases at 0%. Haven't gone to the office supply store to pick up store cards for 5% off yet, that is another possibility. General spend I rotate the consumer cards, this upcoming month is amazon + US Airways, next month BCE + US Airways, etc.
Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 21
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
I like the rotational aspect, after I get done with min spend. QS1 is sorta sock drawered, while I show US Airways some love (1.5 miles until June 30th). I am now using BCE for groceries, Amazon for gas stations, amazon, SimplyCash for business, 3% dining, Freedom for dining this quarter, and both Freedom + BCE for big purchases at 0%. Haven't gone to the office supply store to pick up store cards for 5% off yet, that is another possibility. General spend I rotate the consumer cards, this upcoming month is amazon + US Airways, next month BCE + US Airways, etc.

+1.

My aviator is being abused, lol. Because even at a fairly conservative valuation at 1.6cpp, it's a 2.4% back card until 6/30 on everyday purchases, lol

It's even higher because my parking is usually 3.55 for my classes...4 AA miles x1.5 =6 AA miles = 9.6 cents = 2.7% back Smiley Wink

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 5 of 21
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Despite having 17 cards, 5-6 of them get almost all my monthly "love"

Sallie Mae= Groceries/Gas/Amazon
Venture/Arrival+= Travel
5% cards (Freedom/Discover/Cash+ depending on categories)
FIdelity AMEX for everything not covered above...

Everything else is window dressing. Once I get my limits a little higher I'm going to trim my lineup from 17 to about 7-8 cards.
Message 6 of 21
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Interesting I guess I was doing it the old fashioned way by how it was organized in my wallet, I never thought of using an app to do it for me. 

Message 7 of 21
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Currently, I usually revolve balances on my cards with my lowest APRs and best terms -- FNBO Amex at 6.25% V, Ring at 8.00% V, and BoA Cash Rewards World card at 9.99% F.  Cards I have with APRs higher than 10% are sockdrawered and/or being paid off, with no new balances being added to them.

Message 8 of 21
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Highest possible reward yield. The only exception is when trying to meet a spending requirement.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 9 of 21
happypill
Valued Contributor

I use my cards to pay for stuff.  In an emergency I'd consider using my cards to jimmy a lock or something.  I once had a friend who would clean his teeth with cards, kind of like dental floss, but I don't like doing that.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.