cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does American Express back-dating work? Costco?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does American Express back-dating work? Costco?

I received a pre-approval letter for the green card, and that is the card I've really been wanting. But my plan has been to wait until my reports are completely golden to apply for the Costco AMEX because I heard that they back-date to your membership date.

I really want the Green card, but I really, really want the 7-8 years of Costco added history.

Questions:

• Does the Costco AMEX really back-date to the Costco membership date? (2003 in my case)
  • If so: If I were to apply and get a Green card, then get the Costco AMEX later, will the Costco card be back-dated to my Costco membership date, or the brand new Green card date?
  • If Costco date: Would my existing Green card somehow get back-dated to the Costco membership date?

Weird questions, I know, but I really could use the added credit history.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does American Express back-dating work? Costco?

Hi Xeoz,

Unfortunately, Amex doesn't backdate based on the date of membership at Costco. They only backdate based on your date of membership with Amex. There was a big thread on this in the fall of '09, where we figured out that the members who had reported  it happening, really had their cards backdated based on the year they first opened an Amex card, and the current month.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Xeoz,

Unfortunately, Amex doesn't backdate based on the date of membership at Costco. They only backdate based on your date of membership with Amex. There was a big thread on this in the fall of '09, where we figured out that the members who had reported  it happening, really had their cards backdated based on the year they first opened an Amex card, and the current month.

+1

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Xeoz,

Well that's dissapointing, it was a beautiful myth. Thanks for letting me know!

With that information I decided to pull the trigger and submit the app. They approved me for a brand new American Express Green card. Hooray, I'm now part of the club.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Xeoz!

Message 5 of 7
vish1
Valued Contributor

Congrats Xeoz...

IMO its a great card, treat it well and be prepared to be treated well. Offcourse if you pull the trigger for costco card later, you get backdated to 2011 Smiley Happy

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 7
JonStur
Established Contributor

I love my Costco Amex and you will too when you apply for yours..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.