Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Amex want me to pay?

tag
CF_Frost
New Contributor

How does Amex want me to pay?

I'm sure this has been hashed out on here several times, but it just hit me that I might not be paying them as they want. I have always gotten the 3x CLI, going from $1K to $9K , but I wanted to make sure I do things right for the next one. I typically just PIF before the "minimum payment due" date and haven't been paying much attention to the close date before reading the forum. By paying all my other cards by this date, they reflect no utilization but Amex does, which conveniently leaves me at about 5% utilization.

Should I stop doing this and start paying by close date?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How does Amex want me to pay?

I am wondering about this as well. I PIF multiple times a month, but paying by close date would require you to basically stop using your card for a few days around the close date to not have your statement reflect a balance of any kind and stay at 0% UTIL

Message 2 of 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: How does Amex want me to pay?

Seems like if you are getting the 3x CLI why would you even think of changing?!

The only reason to pay before the statement date would be if you have higher util and you are getting ready to apply for something and don't want that util. reporting to your credit report... but if you are not getting ready to apply for something util. is just temporary if you then paid the bill off and just let it update next statement, Fico doesn't have a memory it only reports as is at time, so just pay before the due date so you don't pay interest and don't worry about it otherwise.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.