Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Chase decide Signature or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does Chase decide Signature or not?

I was approved a while back for freedom $14k and it came as signature (as well as my csp and Hyatt) and I've heard with chase its $5k and over is signature but evidently not because my wife was just approved for $11.5k freedom and it isn't signature...not a huge deal we have plenty of others, just curious
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: How does Chase decide Signature or not?

@Anonymous wrote:
I was approved a while back for freedom $14k and it came as signature (as well as my csp and Hyatt) and I've heard with chase its $5k and over is signature but evidently not because my wife was just approved for $11.5k freedom and it isn't signature...not a huge deal we have plenty of others, just curious

Well you need a $5,000 limit to get one at all. It's more of a requirement to be eligible for one with Chase 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

Thats weird i thought 5k was the criteria with most mainstream banks and their signature cards.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

By all rationale it should be a Visa Signature card. If you meet the criteria you might as well call and ask that it be applied. There are some perks that come with Visa Signature, and even though you don't hear many people taking advantage of the extended warranty, the Visa Signature Hotels and the BOGO Fandango movie tickets are a nice benefit. Call in and find out. Good luck and keep us posted!
Message 4 of 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
By all rationale it should be a Visa Signature card. If you meet the criteria you might as well call and ask that it be applied. There are some perks that come with Visa Signature, and even though you don't hear many people taking advantage of the extended warranty, the Visa Signature Hotels and the BOGO Fandango movie tickets are a nice benefit. Call in and find out. Good luck and keep us posted!

Most of the major banks offer extended warranty and etc on the non siggy cards as well and chase sure does that. The ones they don't offer is the hotels?( didn't know they offered that ) and the fandango tickets. There might be a few other things but stuff like extended warranty is done by non siggy cards though 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 5 of 9
Sharingan
Established Contributor

According to the Pricing and Terms fine print, they make the determination of whether or not to give you the Platinum or Signature based on a review of your credit report. It sounds predictable, but I really don't believe they factor much else in. From experience, you are more likely to get the Signature right off the bat if you can qualify for the lowest APR and a credit limit over $5000. 

I've noticed over the years that more and more Chase cards don't even include that language in their Pricing and Terms anymore; which implies that you must be able to qualify for at least $5000 in order to get the card, because it only comes as a Visa Signature (such as with the Hyatt card). I think the Chase United Explorer recently removed it because I didn't see it in my application last month, and I haven't seen any sub $5000 limits for it lately. Such a shame that the IHG is the only remaining MasterCard offered by Chase..

Message 6 of 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

According to the Pricing and Terms fine print, they make the determination of whether or not to give you the Platinum or Signature based on a review of your credit report. It sounds predictable, but I really don't believe they factor much else in. From experience, you are more likely to get the Signature right off the bat if you can qualify for the lowest APR and a credit limit over $5000. 

I've noticed over the years that more and more Chase cards don't even include that language in their Pricing and Terms anymore; which implies that you must be able to qualify for at least $5000 in order to get the card, because it only comes as a Visa Signature (such as with the Hyatt card). I think the Chase United Explorer recently removed it because I didn't see it in my application last month, and I haven't seen any sub $5000 limits for it lately. Such a shame that the IHG is the only remaining MasterCard offered by Chase..

Meanwhile Citi has been going to Mastercard for theirs. I would suggest citi if you want a Mastercard and a pretty good one is the double cash 

Message 7 of 9
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Meanwhile Citi has been going to Mastercard for theirs. I would suggest citi if you want a Mastercard and a pretty good one is the double cash 

Already loaded with 4 Citi Mastercards (AA Select, Dividend, Double Cash, and Simplicity) with a prequal for the TY Premier WEMC. Only one missing from my signature is my Simplicity. Thanks though! 

Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Limit seems to play a role but it is not the only factor that matters.  No one knows the specifics but there are plenty of people with >5K non-Signature cards.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.