Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Citi know my GPA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does Citi know my GPA?

According to https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-mtvu-platinum-select-visa-card-for-college-students/ college students who keeps a "good" GPA receive 4000 point per semester, now my question is, how do they know???

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does Citi know my GPA?

The dean's list maybe?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

nah i doubt it because it's too much work for citi.

Message 3 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You submit your transcript to them. 

Message 4 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Maybe universities "submit" to the banks.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Maybe universities "submit" to the banks.Smiley Happy

Hmmm. Interesting, but something tells me colleges aren't allow to market credit cards to their students under the new CARD act, I might be wrong though.

Message 6 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure about today but in the past, colleges/universities sold out big time to banks and CCCs.

Message 7 of 9
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

According to https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-mtvu-platinum-select-visa-card-for-college-students/ college students who keeps a "good" GPA receive 4000 point per semester, now my question is, how do they know???

Very simple, actually, in the Terms & Conditions section of that webpage it says:

You can earn bonus ThankYou Points for achieving good grades at college. ThankYou Points can be earned by submitting proof of grades up to two times per calendar year. ThankYou Points will be awarded as follows: • GPA • ThankYou Points • 2.50 - 2.99 • 250 • 3.00 - 3.49 • 500 • 3.50 - 3.99 • 750 • 4.0 • 2,000

So they know because the student sends them a copy of the grade report or transcript in order to get the points.  Even before I checked the website I figured it had to be something like that, because the laws protecting the privacy of academic records have been around for decades, long before the new CARD act.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Very simple, actually, in the Terms & Conditions section of that webpage it says:

You can earn bonus ThankYou Points for achieving good grades at college. ThankYou Points can be earned by submitting proof of grades up to two times per calendar year. ThankYou Points will be awarded as follows: • GPA • ThankYou Points • 2.50 - 2.99 • 250 • 3.00 - 3.49 • 500 • 3.50 - 3.99 • 750 • 4.0 • 2,000

So they know because the student sends them a copy of the grade report or transcript in order to get the points.  Even before I checked the website I figured it had to be something like that, because the laws protecting the privacy of academic records have been around for decades, long before the new CARD act.

Thanks for translating their long terms and conditions into plain English.Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.