Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Macy's handle CLIs?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: How does Macy's handle CLIs?

I have posted this over and over but:

2008 Macy's Store Card $1k and Macy's Visa $2k.

Day of opening I put over $2500 on it and went "Elite" - Took some doing since I bought about $1000-$1200... made a check payment and turned around and tried to push a $1400-$1700 and after talking with sales person, me they finally "Allowed" to push the charge through but would NOT increase the limit.

Every 3 months I asked to Double Current Line+:

Store - was up to $10,700  just after first year.... I stopped asking for increases when they stopped reporting... and now that they brought it back it's still that line.

Visa went up to $12k pretty quickly also.

and I did a Furniture line for $3600 back in 2008 then that line was about at $400 and I added $5800 or $6800 furniture line and then charged another $1-$2k on store for the rest of the furniture.

I recently was told that I have a major purchase/furniture line open and sitting for $5k... in past I was told they don't sit with limits, you have to have a sales person call in to activate and get line... so that was interesting to be told, but have not used yet.

Bloomingdales we have $8600 but my best friend is primary and I'm moving away from our cards like that so it could probably go much higher but never ask.

don't call and they ask you how much you want and get nervous about being declined and say $500.... The computer kicks back and I have (1 time) had the rep question why I wanted so much to then turn around and say actually I can go even higher to "blank" if you want!! YES PLEASE

So if they ask me what I want, Im usually spitting back at least double Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 19
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Day of opening I put over $2500 on it and went "Elite" - Took some doing since I bought about $1000-$1200... made a check payment and turned around and tried to push a $1400-$1700 and after talking with sales person, me they finally "Allowed" to push the charge through but would NOT increase the limit.

Store - was up to $10,700  just after first year.... I stopped asking for increases when they stopped reporting... and now that they brought it back it's still that line.

and I did a Furniture line for $3600 back in 2008 then that line was about at $400 and I added $5800 or $6800 furniture line and then charged another $1-$2k on store for the rest of the furniture.

I recently was told that I have a major purchase/furniture line open and sitting for $5k... in past I was told they don't sit with limits, you have to have a sales person call in to activate and get line... so that was interesting to be told, but have not used yet.

Bloomingdales we have $8600 but my best friend is primary and I'm moving away from our cards like that so it could probably go much higher but never ask.

don't call and they ask you how much you want and get nervous about being declined and say $500.... The computer kicks back and I have (1 time) had the rep question why I wanted so much to then turn around and say actually I can go even higher to "blank" if you want!! YES PLEASE

So if they ask me what I want, Im usually spitting back at least double Smiley Happy

How often did you use the Macy's card after your large purchase the first day?  I don't think I can really justify much more than my current limit of $2500.  I'm between $500-$1000 yr on my card.  Maybe I should buy my new mattress there!  Smiley Tongue

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 12 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

How often did you use the Macy's card after your large purchase the first day?  I don't think I can really justify much more than my current limit of $2500.  I'm between $500-$1000 yr on my card.  Maybe I should buy my new mattress there!  Smiley Tongue

I used my account quite a lot but sometimes it was smoke and mirrors because if I was out of town I would not worry about buying anything at Macy's rather I wanted it or not because that's back when Elite got Free Shipping, so I would buy the store down and have it shipped home and then return what I did not want or did not work out.  It really doesn't matter if you spend a lot or not.... it's just something the computer puts in, just like Amex... My partner faught me on the CLI with Amex because he doesn't "need it"

I'm like sure you spend x now and don't need it but I can tell you if you find yourself in a new career, a new business that is oernight success (can dream right!) I'm like going to $25k now and letting it sit is better then finding you need $25k and can't get $5k (just throwing numbers out).

Message 13 of 19
CS800
Super Contributor

I'm glad they are finally reporting the limit at least on the statement. I wish they would do it to the CB's also.

Message 14 of 19
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Well now I'm just completely confused.  They billed the amount to a Macy's credit card but the last 4 digits don't match what is on my card.  Plus the card shows no pending or recent transactions.

Message 15 of 19
EC341
Established Member

Very interesting GST. I've had a Bloomingdale's card for over 20 years and was recently upgraded to their new Loyalist program. I've noticed that in the past 6 months or so when I call to get my balance they mention that credit lines are not set and will be increased in the beginning of the year. I guess I meet their qualifications since they upgraded me but have yet to get an automatic increase. Last time was about 6 years ago when I asked. I was going to wait a little longer but after reading your comments I might ask using the internal guideline system comment you mentioned.

Message 16 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@EC341 wrote:

Very interesting GST. I've had a Bloomingdale's card for over 20 years and was recently upgraded to their new Loyalist program. I've noticed that in the past 6 months or so when I call to get my balance they mention that credit lines are not set and will be increased in the beginning of the year. I guess I meet their qualifications since they upgraded me but have yet to get an automatic increase. Last time was about 6 years ago when I asked. I was going to wait a little longer but after reading your comments I might ask using the internal guideline system comment you mentioned.

Yes you should ask... CLI or GLI, what ever they are calling these days!

I would also ignore or worry if they say HP, it won't be.

what is limit currently? over 20 years!!!

so you went to a black Bloomies Store card? why not upgrade to Amex?

Message 17 of 19
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@EC341 wrote:

If you upgrade to the AMEX, it is considered a new tradeline.  The upgrade also results in a hardpull.  Back when it was the Visa, I called and asked about this.  I think there are also some posts on here about it as well.  Statements should now have what your current CL is listed on them now.  I think my limit has been on my statement since April.  I just got my June statement online today.  It lists my 7.9k limit and says that it will go in effect as a CL in July, so hopefully this means it will start reporting to the CRs again in July (fingers crossed).  I haven't bothered to request a CLI/GLI since they took the limit off the CRs, but if it goes back up in July, you can bet I'll be calling again Smiley Happy  I have some purchases I haven't got around yet to making, so as soon as that CL reports, I plan on going in and showing them some love so they can show me some love!

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 18 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@GST2008 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@EC341 wrote:

If you upgrade to the AMEX, it is considered a new tradeline.  The upgrade also results in a hardpull.  Back when it was the Visa, I called and asked about this.  I think there are also some posts on here about it as well.  Statements should now have what your current CL is listed on them now.  I think my limit has been on my statement since April.  I just got my June statement online today.  It lists my 7.9k limit and says that it will go in effect as a CL in July, so hopefully this means it will start reporting to the CRs again in July (fingers crossed).  I haven't bothered to request a CLI/GLI since they took the limit off the CRs, but if it goes back up in July, you can bet I'll be calling again Smiley Happy  I have some purchases I haven't got around yet to making, so as soon as that CL reports, I plan on going in and showing them some love so they can show me some love!

Yes you are correct it would be a HP and new account to upgrade and open Macy's Amex... But if you have long history with Macy's a high credit line on the store, might be REALLY worth it because most likely will be very high limit and just like store you can ask for increases every 6 months (use to be 4) and it should be soft and works just like the store, it's basically loaded into the account already so when you request it just pops up with the offer for the CSR.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.