cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does USAA customer initiated CLI work?

tag
dodgeball
Established Contributor

How does USAA customer initiated CLI work?

Is it like NFCU where  you request a amount and if they can't do it they counter offer you? Or do they pull and come up with a number. Very curious about this.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: How does USAA customer initiated CLI work?

I can't prove it; but I heard that they ask you what you want, you tell them, and if they can't do it then they counter.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 11
hammertime
New Contributor

I generally just call every 6 months and request CLI.  It is a HP on Equifax.  It is best to ask for max available and that is what you will get.  Usually a quick phone call.  They will ask about income and tell you new CLI while you are on the phone.  One HP for both of my cards on the same call.  I have heard that max across all cards is 50K.

Message 3 of 11
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@hammertime wrote:

I generally just call every 6 months and request CLI.  It is a HP on Equifax.  It is best to ask for max available and that is what you will get.  Usually a quick phone call.  They will ask about income and tell you new CLI while you are on the phone.  One HP for both of my cards on the same call.  I have heard that max across all cards is 50K.

Do you mind sharing what your credit limit is on your USAA credit card? Mine is 10,000.

Message 4 of 11
dodgeball
Established Contributor

@hammertime wrote:

Good info I hope they match my Navy accounts

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 5 of 11
kroberts67
Established Contributor

Is it also normal for USAA to give out both MC & Amex, same CL, same requirements?

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 6 of 11
TrishN
Established Contributor

1 HP for 2 cards CL is nice. ill wait till my both cards over 6 months to call in. Smiley Very Happy 

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 7 of 11
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@TrishN wrote:

1 HP for 2 cards CL is nice. ill wait till my both cards over 6 months to call in. Smiley Very Happy 

Yeah, but IMO, USAA credit cards aren't that great in terms of rewards. This is why I barely use it.

Message 8 of 11
hammertime
New Contributor

Sure.  Vet MCard 18K, AMEX 15K, also have 43K auto loan.  Last CLI was from 10k to 18k  on MC and 12k to 15k on AMEX.

Message 9 of 11
solxp
Contributor

It is possible to get a cli from USAA with a soft pull if your willing to wait for it to show up under my offers. However they are semi slow to appear. If you initate the cli they will counter offer if they can not meet your ask. One quick note and it may have changed but there is no real recon option with USAA you call CSR and they talk to underwriting but there is not a option for you to contact UW (even if you ask to be connected to UW you just get sent to a supervisor at least I was when requesting a increase from 30k to 45k)  directly that being said they still have pretty strong customer service and you will get the feeling that they are trying their hardest to accomplish what ever you request. 

The rewards are not great on USAA cards however they offer some good rates on APR currently I have two card with 6.75 apr on both. The only way I could beat that rate currently would be to get a home equity loan or some other type of secured loan, 6.75% for unsecurred loan is pretty solid IMO.  For reference I have been a member for over 20 years and am a full member having had insurance with USAA since I was 16 on my parents policy and later  on my on. I joined through my father but  after 10 years in the service became eligible on my own once it opened in 1996 to enlisted personnel.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.