cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a Citi World MasterCard report?

tag
Zar
Regular Contributor

How does a Citi World MasterCard report?

Hello!

I just got a letter from Citi telling me that my Citi Diamind Preferred Rewards has been upgraded to a "World MasterCard"... Does this mean that my card will stop reporting my credit limit and that the balance I have on it will be taken as the new limit and it will appear to the CRAs as a maximized card? Should I call and ask them to downgrade my card to its previous status?

Thanks so much in advance,

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How does a Citi World MasterCard report?

The CITI World Master Card might or might not report a CL or a high balance. When no CL is reporting, FICO then looks to see if a "highest balance" is reporting. If a CC doesn't have a CL and a highest balance reporting, the card will not factor in FICO revolving utilization calculations. Here is how my CITI World MC reports on my reports:

EQ: reports CL and balance, but no highest balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

EX: no CL, but reports highest balance and balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

TU: no CL or a high balance, but reports just the balance (not factoring in FICO util scoring)

Message 2 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Update!

Originally reported as:

EQ: reports CL and balance, but no highest balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

EX: no CL, but reports highest balance and balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

TU: no CL or a high balance, but reports just the balance (not factoring in FICO util scoring)

Changes as of today:

EX: no CL or a high balance, but reports just the balance (not factoring in FICO util scoring)

Message 3 of 18
Zar
Regular Contributor

Hello Fused,

Can we assumed the way it reports to EX is good? What if this card were the highest CL?

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Zar wrote:

Hello Fused,

Can we assumed the way it reports to EX is good? What if this card were the highest CL?

Zar Smiley Happy

For me, the way my CITI World card is currently reporting on EX is a good thing. Its the only card I have reporting a small balance. This ensures maximum FICO points for util. That said, there are some benefits to having one of these cards if its not reporting a CL and high balance. You can carry a big balance and it won't trash your FICOs.

I'm not sure I understand your question.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
Zar
Regular Contributor

I meant if this card has your highest credit line... is this a positive or negative thing?
Zar Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Seeing that you understand how this card might report with each bureau, it really doesn't matter if this card is your highest CL. The trick is to watch your util, so that if any of the bureaus report a CL or high balance for this card, make sure you don't have a big balance reporting.

Message 7 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Zar wrote:
I meant if this card has your highest credit line... is this a positive or negative thing?
Zar Smiley Happy

Zar, do you have balances on your other cards?  If so, then this may be a negative for you.  It might increase your overall % utilization if this credit limit is not used in the calculations.

Something else to consider...if this is your highest limit card by far, and if your report won't show you as having a high limit card... getting another high limit card may be a bit tougher, as nobody wants to be first.

As always, this post is subject to correction from other members.

Message 8 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Zar wrote:   ...I just got a letter from Citi telling me that my Citi Diamind Preferred Rewards has been upgraded to a "World MasterCard"...

BTW, Zar, I received a letter, too...I'm just not sure if the card is actually being converted, or if I'm just getting additional benefits a la World Mastercard.

The wording is somewhat vague, but I'm more inclined to believe that the card itself may not be changing, just the benefits attached to it.

I guess we'll both find out soon enough.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 18
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Hm, that's interesting. I have the American Airlines Citi World Mastercard and it doesn't display credit limit on EQ and does not factor in my utilization on EQ. As far as EX or TU, not sure. While I do have a limit on my statement, I've mentioned before that there is also no pre-set spending limit, so I can spend over my limit without penalty as long as I go under my limit by the time the next statement is out. 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.