cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a Citi World MasterCard report?

tag
kbell
New Contributor

Re: How does a Citi World MasterCard report?

fyi, when Citi changed my card to a World Mastercard, no new tradeline was added to my TU report. That is, instead of showing the Citi Mastercard tradeline closed and adding another tradeline for Citi World Mastercard, they took the existing Citi tradeline and changed the account number and changed the credit limit to 'not reported'. Everything else remained the same. I hope that makes sense.

Message 11 of 18
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

What CIti is offering you is what is called a no preset spendi limit account.  It sounds great but it is not. The article below will detail why.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20060331a1.asp

I had one but I closed it  when CIti refused to reverse the "upgrade". I have other cards.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 12 of 18
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

How is it any different than anAMEX charge card then? The AA Citi World Mastercard is not being factored into my utilization ratio on EQ. I think that's great, no?

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 13 of 18
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

My Citi account was reporting no credit limit and no high balance or high credit and a revolving account. I dont like Amex (Green ) either I dont think the card is worth the annual fee ( my opinion). Some of the stories I have read about Amex do not help either.  Depends on how you calculate the credit utilization if the Amex card is included or not. If the formula is the total credit card balances divided by total credit limits then it is included. if the formula is total revolving credit card balances / divided  by total credit limits then the Amex card  depending on the card is not included.  The key is how the card is reported.

Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Message 14 of 18
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@fused wrote:

Update!

Originally reported as:

EQ: reports CL and balance, but no highest balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

EX: no CL, but reports highest balance and balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

TU: no CL or a high balance, but reports just the balance (not factoring in FICO util scoring)

Changes as of today:

EQ: reports CL and balance, but no highest balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

EX: no CL or a high balance, but reports just the balance (not factoring in FICO util scoring)

TU: no CL or a high balance, but reports just the balance (not factoring in FICO util scoring)

My World MC reports neither the credit limit nor the high balance for any of the three CRAs.

Except when the payment history is included in the reports, which happens with say the free annual reports. Then TU and EX list the high balance in the high balance field.

Could it be that the CRAs calculate the high balance based on the payment history? Is it mandatory that the annual reports include the payment history, in which case it's obvious what the high balance should be?

Message 15 of 18
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The credit bureaus only have what is reported to them by the creditor. I have seen on some credit reports a balance histroy reported.  I have never seen anything that says this will be used to determine the high balnce amount if the high balance is not reported. if the creditor is not reporting the high balance why would they report the balance histroy. I have a card that reports the high balance only. Since that card started reporting that way I have lost 10 to 15 points  off my score.  In my opinion cards that do not report a credit limit are more of a liability to your score than anything else.

I did some more research on credit utilization  spurred by the Amex question and some other comments i have read on the forum. I came accross this article. The comments on credit utilzation are from FICO. I learned some new things about credit utilization from the article and I thought had already understood it completely before I read it,

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2010/08/31/charge-card-balances-wont-impact-fico-credit-...

I update my post with the link and the second paragraph.

Message 16 of 18
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

My World MC reports neither the credit limit nor the high balance for any of the three CRAs.

Interesting, I'm not sure why it reports differently for some people. 

Except when the payment history is included in the reports, which happens with say the free annual reports. Then TU and EX list the high balance in the high balance field.

Could it be that the CRAs calculate the high balance based on the payment history? Is it mandatory that the annual reports include the payment history, in which case it's obvious what the high balance should be?

None of us should care how the CRA's calculate anything, its all about how FICO calculates everything. Of course, you know that.Smiley Happy I'm not sure I have the correct answer for your second question.

Message 17 of 18
Zar
Regular Contributor

Hello Uborrow-Upay,

Yes, I have balances on a few of my other cards, so definitevly (I guess) it wouldn't be good for me to lose that reporting line. A few weeks have passed now, and I haven't seen any changes to my account... it looks as though they didn't upgrad it to "World" level. I didn't get any other letters either... what abot you guys who also got such letter? By the way, I got another CLI on this card a few minutes ago, I called them after seeing the luv botton.

Have a good night and a very nice day (later), everyone!

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.