cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does anyone wait two years to app.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does anyone wait two years to app.

The trick is to find another goal to focus on. No matter where you are in your credit journey applying for new credit every few months is not a good idea. The longer you wait between applications the better your chances are at receiving higher CLs and lower APRs.

Someone has something similar to this in their signature line: Achieving one goal should be a starting point for another. I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words. Each time I read this quote it resonates  with me.

Message 11 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try focusing on something else finance related that is more proactive like building up your nest eggs, 401ks, Roths. etc.... That works for me. 

Message 12 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

The trick is to find another goal to focus on. No matter where you are in your credit journey applying for new credit every few months is not a good idea. The longer you wait between applications the better your chances are at receiving higher CLs and lower APRs.

Someone has something similar to this in their signature line: Achieving one goal should be a starting point for another. I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words. Each time I read this quote it resonates  with me.

you are referring to tuolumne "shortcuts to credit lead to shortcut results"

Message 13 of 66
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

In my case first my credit was bad, so there was no point in apping. Then i apped about once a year, cause i wait for my credit  to be good enough to be approved for a cc i really want. I do study the cc before apping to see if its one i will stick with for a while.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 14 of 66
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

If people are in the mood to app,,forum or not it's happening. If the forum is making you app you're weak minded. No offense.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 15 of 66
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, really depends on the credit environment.  If it's a seller's market (tight), don't app.  If it's buyers' market (cheap and free money), app.  Until the Issuers decided to up the offers and bonuses, I had gone without an app for 10 or 12 years.  Once they offers are gone, I may never app again, until they return.

Message 16 of 66
EdMan63
Established Contributor

It's actually easy for me. Prior to coming to these forums I had one credit card for many many years. This year I applied for 3 cards and don't plan on apping again for at least another year. I don't need a ton of cards. For many credit is a hobby. For me it's just a tool with certain benefits if used responsibly. 

Message 17 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

If people are in the mood to app,,forum or not it's happening. If the forum is making you app you're weak minded. No offense.

Message 18 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

Lol

Message 19 of 66
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would try focusing on something else finance related that is more proactive like building up your nest eggs, 401ks, Roths. etc.... That works for me. 

I agree. I find that building my savings makes me feel more rewarded than CC rewards ever do.

Message 20 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.