cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does anyone wait two years to app.

tag
DomoNomo
Contributor

Re: How does anyone wait two years to app.

December of this year and I'll hit the two year mark.  I found that the more I'm on this forum, the more I want to app.  Smiley Happy 

Message 31 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's easy for me, my credit stinks! Since I burned a boatload of the big boys in bk, I'm pretty much limited in apping!

Plus I have what I need for now, I'm looking to save every last penny I can for a down payment on a house, I can't go fha because the limits in my area are way too low, so I have to wait and save and get my file as perfect as it can be sans the big black mark for Dec 2017!

So now I just mess with my budget weekly, finding more ways to save! That's fun too!
Message 32 of 66
negg
Frequent Contributor

It's easy.    I have no need for anymore plastic.  That and imloving the 1 inq on my report. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 33 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would start a second set of income in the bank for the spend on those sign-up bonuses or become an investor on Lending Club. that way you can check those things daily, not unlike coming on here checking out the enjoyment of approvals of other people. OCD love to go online and check for things that are different why not look for something that makes you money 5 cents at a time. Look out yesterday it was 34 cents haha.
Message 34 of 66
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering how in the world people have the patience to wait two years to apply for new credit, and why.   I have a hard time staying in the garden for 2 months.  lol

Kudos to those of you who can.  And I'm by no means saying I'm addicted to applying like I've seen posted on here before.   It just takes a lot more willpower than I have to wait that long between new cards.  But then again I'm still building so maybe that's the difference.  

It's very simple for me. I know that credit is a marathon and not a sprint. I actually just started my 2 year wait for apps just last month. I know to get the cards I really want I need to do this so when it comes time to app I'll be clean, no inq's, and nothing but positive history. I know when that time comes I'll be almost a shoe in for the cards. If I spend the next two years apping my brains out then it'll be a lot more difficult for this to happen. It also makes things easier knowing I have way to much credit for my level of spending as it sits now anyways. I treat every C.C. like a debit card and certainly don't treat credit as a source of income. I also live well below my means so again no need for credit. Credit is a slow and very methodical process so take your time with it and enjoy the journey!

Personal:

Business:

Message 35 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Building all the credit you can (decent cards not candle stores) while you aren't making much is still a good approach. When you are better off you will enjoy much flexibility. Its a bummer to see people making 150k a year and can't get a 3k limit. If you lose your income, chances are you aren't a room mate paying 420 a month. You need credit to temporarily cover expenses much more than a single guy.

Post app spree, after a year has gone by, the scores come up and creditors will see they are older. After that, staggering new ones every 6 months wont rock the boat and won't feel like you're missing opportunities. I myself couldn't wait 2 years. The only time I ever did was when I had a 533 fico and was trying to be mr cash is king.
Message 36 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone that sets an unrealistic goal has a higher chance of specific failure. Set reasonable goals and follow them up with the next one in line. Instead of "gardening for 2 years", garden for 3 months 8 times.
Message 37 of 66
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Someone that sets an unrealistic goal has a higher chance of specific failure. Set reasonable goals and follow them up with the next one in line. Instead of "gardening for 2 years", garden for 3 months 8 times.

This is a great way to look at it and each 3 month period will get easier and easier!

Personal:

Business:

Message 38 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

The trick is to find another goal to focus on. No matter where you are in your credit journey applying for new credit every few months is not a good idea. The longer you wait between applications the better your chances are at receiving higher CLs and lower APRs.

Someone has something similar to this in their signature line: Achieving one goal should be a starting point for another. I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words. Each time I read this quote it resonates  with me.

you are referring to tuolumne "shortcuts to credit lead to shortcut results"

I believe you are correct about the user, but it was the previous signature line. Thanks for reminding me!

Message 39 of 66
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Easy I waited 6 years before applying for any cards. I've gotten all of the cards I need or wanted in a 4 month span. Salesman ask me today if I wanted to apply for a Best buy card at the register. I quickly said no thanks and paid with a card I already have. Basically I've killed the urge by getting it out of my system.

Now it's time to sit back and watch my scores skyrocket. There's no where to go but up from here.
Message 40 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.