Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does care credit make sense !?

tag
Firefly_1984
Regular Contributor

Re: How does care credit make sense !?

Another Care Credit card holder here... the plans they offer for paying down what I would never have been able to pay before are pretty reasonable. My insurance does not include dental, and I had to have a root canal. Its been long paid off, but it really is useful.
Age of Credit: 7 years; AAOA: 2 years 6 months
AMEX ED: $9600 Chase Freedom 4500 Discover It 4500 Citi Diamond Preferred: 3200 Care Credit: 3100 DeltaCCU: 6000 Firestone: 1600

Chained in the garden for a LONG TIME!
Message 11 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

for those of us that are smart about credit then sure it's a affordable way into paying for medical stuff .... But in my area their is a big spanish population that could barelly read English or don't wish to read the fine print and then get trapped :/ that's all

. I known the ACA is as functional as the guy that signed it with 40 pens >sarcasm< .... 

And do those people have Care Credit?  How did you arrive at the conclusion that Care Credit is another scam?  Enlighten us since you started this thread.

Message 12 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say dental is probably the most common reason people get it. Even with the best insurance, a lot is still not covered.
Message 13 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would say dental is probably the most common reason people get it. Even with the best insurance, a lot is still not covered.

ditto! and i really dont think its a scam at all considering its all zero percent most of the time. i hate when people call things scams that they dont even understand or read about. Also the 4k limit really helps out my utilization. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a credit account to be used for medical expenses/Dr. Appts from what I see .... But isint that the whole point of the ACA so healthcare be "affordable" and you don't drown in debt so the dentist tells you , you need to floss ..... I have seen it at a couple of Doctors , how does it really work I must be confused , what if a person off BK needs the credit for a medical treatment ! Does he/she get denied because of bad credit ?! 

Worked well for me. I had some expensive dental work ( crown after an implant) and applied for it. My dentist of 26 years told me he'd give me 6 months no interest if I didn't use the card. He wanted to avoid the cut they get.

Ended up not using it and they closed the account after about a year or so.

Message 15 of 46
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I hate Carecredit!! Big Scam!!! I used it to pay my $25 office visit copay expecting 6 months/0%. But no, they demanded payment in full!!! Crazy! Smiley Mad

Relax folks, I'm just joking!Smiley Very Happy

Seriously, I love CareCredit. Back in Jan, 2014, my wife and I got new glasses for a total charge of $516.00. Now, for that amount I was expecting 6 mon/0%. But jeez, they gave me 18 months! Minimum payment is $25. Been paying $35 a month. $61.00 remaining and 2 more payments. This was a perfect opportunity to stretch it out as long as possible to keep the account active since we don't use it very often. Plus, I love free money.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 16 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

to me it doesn't make any sense, because I think most hospitals, doctors and dentist will offer you no interest finance plan.

whenever I visit hospitals, I miss free health care in denmark. seeing a doctor or having surgeries will cost absolutely nothing, except medicines. but then again... you gotta pay 40-60% income tax and 25% sales tax... so there's that. Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 46
bradlin
Established Member

Honestly I can't see why it isn't better to app a regular credit with an intro rate. I guess it is a bucket of credit you keep aside for healthcare expenses and it will be there for you even if you charged up your other cards. They also have a tendency to close the card for non-use so it doesn't work for a rainy day card because it may be closed when you need it.

Message 18 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its like a credit card, basically like an apple rewards CC from barclays. it helps you finance whatever procedure you are doing.

Message 19 of 46
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Without getting into politics, the "affordable" care act is anything but for most people - average deductibles can run $6000 to $10,000 per year and after that a "gold" plan is nothing but the old 80/20 plan anyway. I happen to know a lot about the ACA because of my line of work, but I'll stay away from the pro/com of the ACA.

That being said, in addition to adult dental care Care Credit pays for Hearing Aids (easy $4000+) Lasik ($1000 to well over $6000 depending on the specs), Care Credit also pays for Vet Visits and no there is not an ACA for Fido.

Bsically you are given two options using Care Credit #1 zero interest if paid within a certain time frame (6-12 months are most common) if you don't pay in full, a high APR and all back interest gets you "big time". #2 a moderate interest rate say14.99 APR on a month by month basis until paid in full.

IMO Care Credit is a good tool for what it's designed, but like any credit product they make money by lending money - you agree to the terms, don't know how this could be considered a "ripoff". 

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.