Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does care credit make sense !?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does care credit make sense !?

It's a credit account to be used for medical expenses/Dr. Appts from what I see .... But isint that the whole point of the ACA so healthcare be "affordable" and you don't drown in debt so the dentist tells you , you need to floss ..... I have seen it at a couple of Doctors , how does it really work I must be confused , what if a person off BK needs the credit for a medical treatment ! Does he/she get denied because of bad credit ?! 

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How does care credit make sense !?

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a credit account to be used for medical expenses/Dr. Appts from what I see .... But isint that the whole point of the ACA so healthcare be "affordable" and you don't drown in debt so the dentist tells you , you need to floss ..... I have seen it at a couple of Doctors , how does it really work I must be confused , what if a person off BK needs the credit for a medical treatment ! Does he/she get denied because of bad credit ?! 

Without going too far into politics, the ACA doesnt make anything "affordable" unless you get medicaid. Deductibles and copays run into the thousands before insurance even pays a dime for most people and for families its in the 10K plus range before insurance pays a dime....

Message 2 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Care Credit is like a store card for doctors.  It makes sense in that way - you can use it for medical expenses like you can use a store card at a specific store and paying it as agreed is good for building credit, even if the care is affordable without it.  Not to mention if one has a deductible but doesn't have the cash on hand, CareCredit can take care of the deductible and let you pay it off when you do have the cash on hand.

As for affordability - yes, ACA made medical care a little more affordable by making preventive care cheap to free for the most part, but you could use CareCredit for your copay or deductible and you get the positive payment history on your credit report even if you could have paid it straight out with your debit card.  Same as using a regular credit card in lieu of your debit card and paying in full each month.

Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use it for dental expenses lately.  I paid $500 for a deep cleaning at the dentist the last time.  That's the portion the insurance didn't cover.  Without CareCredit that would probably be on it's way to collections right now.  With it, I can pay over time without interest for 12 months (although I'll have it paid off in three).  It's the only Synchrony card I am keeping despite the overall lack of benefits.  You can use it for Medical, Dental, Vet, Vision, whatever.  Whereever it's accepted. 

Message 4 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like a easy way to scam those with low income into getting in debt for medical 

Message 5 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems like a easy way to scam those with low income into getting in debt for medical 

If someone needs to have some medical work done, the debt is going to exist anyway, regardless of payment method (or lack thereof).  CareCredit lets them take on the debt with a more palatable payment plan.

Message 6 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats a crude way of thinking of Care Credit. I don't personally have it but I know people who have and they love it.  The so called  Affordable Healthcare isn't really affordable in my humble opinion.

Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's no more of a scam than taking a loan for a car or home. What's the alternative...going in debt?
Message 8 of 46
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats a crude way of thinking of Care Credit. I don't personally have it but no people who have and they love it.  The so called  Affordable Healthcare isn't really affordable in my humble opinion.

Not to get OT, but there are still major problems with the current healthcare system in this country no matter how you slice it, especially if it doesn't cover copays enough. Just saying.

I got CareCredit mainly to cover any vet expenses for my dog and like it so far and my mom wanted to use part of it to cover her dental expenses. It does come in handy IMO.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

for those of us that are smart about credit then sure it's a affordable way into paying for medical stuff .... But in my area their is a big spanish population that could barelly read English or don't wish to read the fine print and then get trapped :/ that's all

. I known the ACA is as functional as the guy that signed it with 40 pens >sarcasm< .... 

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.