cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one get around Cap One's mailed answer to a pending application?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

How does one get around Cap One's mailed answer to a pending application?

I'm getting ready to apply for a Capital One Spark in about a week....my 45 day wait from a previous app is almost over. My 3 FICO scores are all in 705-730 range and with the Spark's credit criteria, I feel pretty good about an approval....but I'm not too confident about an instant approval. The last time I applied, I got a pending. I knew after a phone call the next day that I was denied but the CSR couldn't tell me why because they don't see the reason for denial (privacy rules...so stupid) and said I needed to wait for the letter. That is so asinine. A few weeks ago, I applied online for a Chase Ink and got a pending. I called a few SECONDS later and spoke to a credit analyst for a recon and was approved. Is there any way to do this with Cap One? I am dreading the long, agonizing process of waiting for snail mail before I can call. What a dumb policy.

Is it really true that you have to wait for that letter? Anyone ever able to get results through a recon without waiting for that letter? I find it so stupid in today's day and age that Cap One wouldn't divulge that info to analysts so people didn't have to wait for the letter and call back to tell the analyst why they were denied (or what additional info was needed). 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does one get around Cap One's mailed answer to a pending application?

Cap One is entirely useless when it comes to that. I really doubt anyone you can speak to even knows why you get denied, all their decisions seem to be made by a computer. When I've asked about speaking to the underwriting department, some CSRs had no idea what I was asking, some told me it's impossible - as in, they don't let customers speak to them. The reps are the backdoor numbers are barely any better than the frontline reps. Even their executive customer service offices are of limited use.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get around it - but it is extremely unlikely, in my opinion.

Message 2 of 3
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: How does one get around Cap One's mailed answer to a pending application?

Try requesting through their on line banking site. They wil respond in writing in about a week.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.