cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one get off the "Egyptian" list at PenFed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does one get off the "Egyptian" list at PenFed?

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone. So I've had my PenFed credit cards since March of last year. At 8 mos I asked for a CLI and was declined, per one of their classic reasons: PYRAMIDING OF DEBTS. I've literally run at least $12k through those cards and most months have PIF. Both accts sit at zero balances, as they did when I apped for the CLI. I'm wondering, even with my stellar useage and payment history, if that tag they have on me will also keep me from getting an auto cli?

The issue is with your other TLs and not the pendfed accounts. "Pyramiding of debts" is their speak for saying, "Opening new lines of credit in order to simulate low utilization instead of working vigorously to pay down your current debt with the current TLs." What do your other TLs look like?

Not sure what specific info you're requesting, but I have 40+ TLs with over $279k exposure. My largest balance is 4.1k due to a BT on my Discover account. I have a few insignificant balances of a few hundred dollars each. Last CK update showed me at 3% UTIL. It's actually under 2%.

What is the current limit on this card that has the $4k+ balance?

Also, penfed looks at utilization per card, not necessarily overall util.

I hope you are taking this as my answer to your original question/goal and not as anything else. You asked "how"...I'm telling you how.

Limit on the Discover is 8.4k, so yes, I'm at 49% utilization on that card. None of my other accounts have more than 5% util.

Message 11 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@core wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:
Good thing about forums: It's completely up to you how to take the info and what you do with it. I went from a penfed cc of $17K and grew it to $35K in roughly 8-9 months so may know a llitle penfed speak.

You might, or your credit profile just might have deserved the limit you got. I don't believe getting handed a large limit by a creditor automatically makes one an expert on that creditor's policies and I find it laughable that you would offer such as supporting evidence.

Please explain how folks were getting denied for pyramiding debt when they had no debt.

Yes, I agree that this isn't evidence!  (I went from $20K to $40K  in 3 months with them simply by asking them to convert my card to EMV.   And I don't claim expertise).

But equally, I find it unlikely that the reason is that the underwriter is jealous of your cards....

Message 12 of 60
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone. So I've had my PenFed credit cards since March of last year. At 8 mos I asked for a CLI and was declined, per one of their classic reasons: PYRAMIDING OF DEBTS. I've literally run at least $12k through those cards and most months have PIF. Both accts sit at zero balances, as they did when I apped for the CLI. I'm wondering, even with my stellar useage and payment history, if that tag they have on me will also keep me from getting an auto cli?

The issue is with your other TLs and not the pendfed accounts. "Pyramiding of debts" is their speak for saying, "Opening new lines of credit in order to simulate low utilization instead of working vigorously to pay down your current debt with the current TLs." What do your other TLs look like?

Not sure what specific info you're requesting, but I have 40+ TLs with over $279k exposure. My largest balance is 4.1k due to a BT on my Discover account. I have a few insignificant balances of a few hundred dollars each. Last CK update showed me at 3% UTIL. It's actually under 2%.

I hope you are taking this as my answer to your original question/goal and not as anything else. You asked "how"...I'm telling you how.

Limit on the Discover is 8.4k, so yes, I'm at 49% utilization on that card. None of my other accounts have more than 5% util.

Take that down, to under 20% util. Let it report, then either wait for the quarterly SPs or take a HP. I would suggest waiting for the quarterly pulls (3/1, 6/1, 9/1, 12/1 of the given year) beause if you should the low util before one of these take place, it's quite possible they will offer you credit products or offers to increase credit limits.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 13 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Take that down, to under 20% util. Let it report, then either wait for the quarterly SPs or take a HP. I would suggest waiting for the quarterly pulls (3/1, 6/1, 9/1, 12/1 of the given year) beause if you should the low util before one of these take place, it's quite possible they will offer you credit products or offers to increase credit limits.

I can do that. Thanks for the great advice!

Message 14 of 60
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@core wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:
Good thing about forums: It's completely up to you how to take the info and what you do with it. I went from a penfed cc of $17K and grew it to $35K in roughly 8-9 months so may know a llitle penfed speak.

You might, or your credit profile just might have deserved the limit you got. I don't believe getting handed a large limit by a creditor automatically makes one an expert on that creditor's policies and I find it laughable that you would offer such as supporting evidence.

Please explain how folks were getting denied for pyramiding debt when they had no debt.

Well, I certainly did not state that I was an expert with penfed. Just stated that I understood the termonology which took many trials and talks with UW to somehat get a grasp on. I've had many denials with them until I understood what they were looking for. Every's sitution is different and not one size fits all - this is with any lender.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 15 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

LMAO!!!  I love it. I did not know there was a technical term for this!  I AM GUILTY! GUILTY AS CHARGED! :-D  I have done this with tons of friends and family as well and it has really boosted their scores too.  I am shocked that penfed would do this. I guess they are pretty awesome with their penfed promise, and are probably one of the most flexibile lenders out there if you are in financial hard times (making late payments and them not reporting as such to your CRs).  Well, at least thats what the guy said on MSNBC regarding the penfed promise

Message 16 of 60
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@core wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

Yes, I agree that this isn't evidence!  (I went from $20K to $40K  in 3 months with them simply by asking them to convert my card to EMV.   And I don't claim expertise).

But equally, I find it unlikely that the reason is that the underwriter is jealous of your cards....

You may just have the kind of profile that warranted such an increase based on your situation. Your increase was amazing, btw.

Message 17 of 60
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I think PenFed also looks at other lenders you have and at available credit overall with all lenders

Not to mention recent INQ's

Balances with all lenders 

Time usually heals with them going new credit and HP free seems to help

shoot...I just want in with a CC with them.  Itll take an act of God im sure. Ill have to drop down to 1 CC, with a $1kCL in order to even get an initial one, LMAO!!! Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@core wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

You may just have the kind of profile that warranted such an increase based on your situation. Your increase was amazing, btw.

your profile aint too shabby. I'd take it.  We need Sams Club MC upgrades!

Message 19 of 60
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@core wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@core wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

Thanks! On the Sams MC: I'm awaiting this "elusive" offer for synch to upgrade me. I hear it's like spoting the loch ness monster Smiley Indifferent

Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.